[3830] ARRL 10 W6QU(W8QZA) SO SSB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W6QU(W8QZA) SO SSB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 04:10:40 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SO SSB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 16.2

   CW:
  SSB:  407    87
-------------------
Total:  407    87  Total Score = 70,818

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, Output 5 Watts

Antenna:
  Three el Stepp-IR up 10 Meters (32 feet)

Condx did not seem as good as last year. All of my European QSOs were in far
western Europe: EA, CT, and F. I also had one QSO each in GI and in Italy. Only
3.4% of my Qs were in Europe. 68% of my Qs were USA.

I love this contest because sleep is seldom a problem. The band here in
Southern California this year was dead shortly after sunset and did not open
until after sunrise. I used the scanning feature that the K-2 has to search 10
Meters after it had closed and had two TX stations to show for hours of
scanning!

My best Qs were VK6NC and getting CN3A out of a huge pile on my second call
just by timing when I called.

I had 45 states missing only the close in states of OR, NV, and AZ. I also
missed ME and RI.

This is one of the few contests that CQing can work well for my QRP station. 90
of my 407 Qs were made by CQing over about 2 hours. The best response to a CQ
was late in the contest by HK3K. I also had 4 different South Dakotas answer my
CQs!  Perhaps I should CQ more, but I needed to search for mults, especially
non-USA/VE mults.

It was a great contest. I missed three critical hours on Saturday morning to
help get the Christmas tree. ....next year I'll be sure to get it BEFORE the
contest starts!

73 and see you in the ARRL DX contests!  ...Bill  W8QZA - W6QU