[3830] ARRL 10 N6GEO M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Ron@wq6x.info
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 N6GEO M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 01:53:20 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: N6GEO
Operator(s): N6GEO WQ6X
Station: N6GEO

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Brentwood, Ca.
Operating Time (hrs): 21

   CW:  467    91
  SSB:  169    66
-------------------
Total:  636   157  Total Score = 346,342

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was another last-minute Multi-OP affair from the N6GEO QTH.
Work commitments for WQ6X and social commitments for N6GEO limited our
operating time.  Nevertheless the FLEX-3000 + CW Skimmer did a superb job on
10-meters with no Power-SDR software crashes since George got the kinks out of
things after the CQ WW contest.  The radio ran into a KPA-500 toned down to 145
watts into a TH-3 Jr at 8mh.
Because we were not running 40-meters we had no local S9 QRN to deal with.
Unfortunately, we had a noticeable amount of periodic "woosh" RFI
from some electronic source in the area.  It was very noticeable on the SDR's
waterfall screen.
We worked nearly all of the U.S. and VE multipliers, however because of their
"close proximity" to our QTH we missed ID and MT.  I was amazed at
how many W6 stations we worked on backscatter.  There was a nice opening to
Europe Saturday morning but was rather ho-hum on Sunday.  There were VK's
a-plenty and a handful of ZL's.  Amazingly, there was a dearth of JA stations -
weird.  We worked ALMOST as many countries as we did on 10-Meters in the CQ WW
contest.
What was amazing was to encounter an opening to Africa virtually from the
moment the band opened up to California on Sunday morning.
While we didn't make a SUPER score, while we made fewer QSOs this year we DiD
surpass last year's score by 10-k points, thanks to a 35% increase in CW QSOs
(which are worth 4 points apiece).  Look for us next month in the RTTY RU.
Ron - WQ6X