[3830] TBDC WD5R(N5ECT) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC WD5R(N5ECT) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 15:57:13 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: WD5R
Operator(s): N5ECT
Station: WD5R

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ar
Operating Time (hrs): 14

Total:  QSOs = 609  Total Score = 1,978

Club:

Comments:

Some of you will understand when I tell you that after about 3 to 4 hours
in the contest I seriously considered quitting for the night.

The storms in the Arkansas, Mississippi area were creating real problems for
me.
I was having to ask for repeats from guys that had really good signals.

Unfortunately I made the mistake of running up the band one time before giving
up.
I say 'unfortunately' because in doing that I became aware that two giants
of contesting, both within ear shot of me, well, you'd have to have a really
big ear, but both within vhf range, were doing some serious contesting.

Becoming aware of their presence, I had two choices, I could run and hide,
or I could piss in the wind.

I'm too old to run and besides I'm too stubborn to quit.
Contesting ain't really contesting unless Ya have serious local action.

As the night went on the qrn was less of a problem, or,
I became numb to the noise. In any case , over all it was
one of the most enjoyable SP's for me. Not one fender scrape and
not one flat tire.

Well one bad moment. My good friend VE1ZZ had to throw a stone through
my window to wake me so he could give me his usual morning report.
Talk about embarrassment!

Bad thing about having so many good days, Ya just know it gotta
end sometime...

Doug, n5ect
2nd in command at wd5r