[3830] TBDC N5IA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N5IA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 21:56:22 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: N5IA
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ -DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 526  Total Score = 2,514

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

First, a bit of my history with the SPDC.  This is my first time participating
as a High Power entry for my core operation in the contest.

For the first three runnings of 'The Stew' I operated at low power.  I did not
own an amplifier.  Then I figured out that operating QRP together with my
relatively farther distances from most of my contacts would improve my chances
of being a 'Winner'.  That strategy worked for me and through the intervening
years I have been able to hang a few pieces of wood on the wall of my 'Shack'.

I have participated in all 19 running of the SPDC.  Each one has had it's high
points and it's low points.  Sometimes it was the superb propagation that
blessed the SPDC.  Sometimes it was the failure of my equipment.  Other times
it has been the pure finickyness (is that a word) of Top Band that keeps all of
us die hard addicts coming back time after time.

This year the low was the relatively poor propagation, especially over the DX
paths outside of North America.  This year the high was being able to put a new
transmit array into full operation for the first time and evaluate it's
capabilities.  For that reason I decided to submit my core operation as a High
Power entrant.  I wanted to assess the full capabilities of a direction
selectable TX array.

A few years ago I figured out I could have MORE FUN in the SPDC by operating
outside the core, night time, 14 hour contest, with a 2nd call sign.  I have
now for two years sponsored a plaque for the 'Highest Score with All Daylight
Operation'.

I use a club call sign, of which I am the Trustee, in this operation and it has
been loads of fun.  In particular is allows me to compare the propagation from
my location while the sun is in the sky without interfering with my core night
time competition.  My report for the N7GP operation is already posted to 3830.

The QRN from the thunderstorms over the Gulf States was right down the center
of my East azimuth.  Consequently I spent the vast majority of the night time
with the TX array pointed NE.  This had its advantages and disadvantages.

For the most part I used the TX array as the RX antenna on the main receiver of
the K3.  The Beverages were input to the 2nd RX.  I operated with the 2nd
receiver phase locked to the main RX for diversity reception when that feature
seemed desirable.  Most of the time I used the 2nd RX and the Beverages to
separately receive from other areas where the TX array was not pointing.  This
capability proved quite successful and nearly emulated the the SO2R operation I
have done in the past.

In the end I worked a lot more NE USA stations than normal and there is a
distinct lack of SE USA stations in the log.  I had noticed this same effect
during ARRL 160 when I had the array hard wired into the NE azimuth.
Apparently the deep null in the pattern at 45 degrees to the main lobe works
just as well (negatively) as does the main lobe (positively).

I have looked at the Grid Square map in N1MM and there are few GSs filled in
the SE, especially Florida.  The opposite is true to the NE where nearly every
Grid Square is colored in.  I now know to alternate CQs with switching the TX
array between the NE and East azimuths to obtain full eastern USA coverage.

When running (65% of the time) I know there were numerous stations who called
that I could not pull out of the noise.  I still have significant power line
noise at this location.  This was one of the low points and I apologize to
those that I could not put into the log when you called.

The bright spot was when doing S & P (35% of the time).  I called perhaps
150 stations while S & Ping, with only ONE station who did not respond to
my call.  This is significant and I am really happy with the performance of the
TX array.

No EU were heard.  DX included HC, HK, JA, KH6, KP2, OA, VK, XE and ZL.  Of
particular importance to me was the call by Greg, ZL3IX.  I specifically
oriented the array to ZL at ZL sunset.  Thanks, Greg, for being there.  VK3IO
was a much more difficult Q as Ron was hearing and working eastern US stations
and his signal was barely above the noise floor at QSB peaks.  Thanks, Ron, for
the great ears.

Only 3 JA stations were contacted; JA3YBK, 8J2VE, and JA4CUU.  All 3 Qs were
difficult.  By contrast one morning earlier in the week casual CQing produced
more than 20 JA contacts; some call signs that I had never worked before.
Another bright light was working KH6DX in his mobile.  Don was great copy here
for my 3rd contact with the BK29 grid.

In the end the 2,514 claimed points with High Power and a gain, directional TX
array are less than the 2,961 points I claimed last year, 2013, with QRP and
the single vertical element.  Oh what a difference propagation makes in the
end.

Thanks for all the Qs.  Again I apologize to those that I could not
hear/decipher and log.  CU all in the CQ 160 CW in 4 weeks.

73 for now, and Happy New year to everyone, de Milt, N5IA