[3830] N8XX SOAB Red Badge Day, Centennial QSO Party 12/31/14

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] N8XX SOAB Red Badge Day, Centennial QSO Party 12/31/14
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2015 12:56:53 -0500
Yes, I know, I know, I know, that the Centennial QSO party wasn't categorized as a contest, but, with the pileups I faced most any time I decided to get on and call CQ CENT (CW) or CQ Centennial (phone) one might, just might, with some stretch, believe that some folks made it into a contest. So, if a few "picky" contest types on this reflector wish to complain about this submission, I say, "OK, it's a free country, you have a right to complain." Without further comment, my submission is as follows:

======================================

Put in a bit of time on the Red Badge Day, Centennial QSO Party yesterday

Centennial QSO Party Summary Sheet
Final Red Badge Day

       Start Date : 2014-12-31

    CallSign Used : N8XX
      Operator(s) : N8XX

Operator Category : SINGLE-OP-ASSISTED
             Band : ALL
            Power : LOW
 Default Exchange : PSM
       Gridsquare : EN73fd

             Name : HANK GREEB

     ARRL Section : OH
  Position: Past Section Manager
        Band  Mode
         3.5  CW      36
         3.5  LSB     57
           7  CW      61
           7  LSB     49
          10  CW      37
          14  CW      37
          14  USB     60
          18  CW      26
          18  USB     38
          21  CW      44
          21  USB      4
          24  CW       7
          24  USB     26
          28  CW      32
       Total  Both   514

Had some time, so got on the "Red Badge Day" to give out some points. Have been amazed what 30 to 70 watts to a wire antenna can stir up once I was spotted on the DX Clusters. Pileups 6 or more deep, sometimes I went split, but not today, because of proximity of others doing the same thing.

Analysis of the log says average rate was 100+ Q's per hour, max was 149 Q's/hr for 40 minute period. (pileups usually subsided after 20 to 30 minutes or less). Amazing to me, an olde fogey with antiquated equipment and a wire antenna at 28' maximum height. I sometimes wonder what I'd do on an island in the Carribean where I'd be the only contestant, and thus being sought after by the hordes. Maybe I'd make a "reasonable" effort at the to 10%?

Only had 4.6 hours to devote, but managed to hit all bands between 3.5 and 28 MHz. Conditions were fair to middlin, except for 12 meters CW and 15 meters Phone.

Don't have a final tabulation of score, because some of the above were dupes from earlier sessions of Centennial operations (folks don't keep track of dupes, and it's easier to work dupes than to explain the rules of the game. :)

The centennial sure stirred up activity - I made some 5600+ Q's in this year's Centennial QP, most starting after the September "Red Badge Day." With only 50 to 60% of the actual Q's counting toward my score (other contestants NOT members of ARRL, so they don't give the member any points), I probably made over 10,000 Q's this year.

None of us will be around for the bicentennial, so this was indeed a once in a lifetime event.