[3830] NAQP CW W8FN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@tx.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W8FN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 17:07:33 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   26    14
   80:  127    35
   40:  185    45
   20:  177    49
   15:  219    39
   10:
-------------------
Total:  734   182  Total Score = 133,588

Club: DFW Contest Group

Team: DFWCG Marconi

Comments:

This one was way more fun than most. For a change everything in the station
worked properly. I did have a brief diversion about two hours in when the right
audio from the K3 suddenly disappeared. It took about ten minutes of
troubleshooting to determine the K3 had decided on its own to set SPKRS=1. I
reset the speaker audio to 2 and all was good again. Don't you just love it now
that the radios are computers too?

15 was nil at the beginning of the contest, but came roaring in a couple of
hours after the start. Conditions on 20 and 15 were pretty good. I never did
check 10, which may have cost me a few points.

The recent rework of the 80 meter Inverted L was well worthwhile; I seemed to
be able to raise anybody I could hear well enough to copy. Considering the
paucity of radials on the thing, it works pretty well.

The 160 antenna was also re-installed over the holiday period, and it seemed to
work as well as could be expected. Using the Pixel loop for a receive antenna, I
could pretty much work anything I could hear (which regrettably ain't much).

This was the first real workout I gave the station in SO2R mode since
installing the BPF units on each station. There's still a bit of interstation
QRM that makes it hard to hear on the second radio on some bands. This year's
major station improvement will be the installation of a set of stubs to try to
mitigate the problem. Since all my antennas are literally just a few feet above
the shack, I expect that I'll never completely kill the station interactions.

This installment of NAQP is a personal best for me from Texas. Now I'll just
have to work harder to do better next time. Thanks to all the folks who worked
me and see y'all in the contests.

73...
Randy, W8FN