[3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2015 16:09:09 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 6

  160:   55    21
   80:  222    38
   40:   44    20
   20:   38    17
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  359    96  Total Score = 34,464

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Biggest excitement was just before my effective start of the contest.  Heading
out the door Friday 4:45PM, my wife called me back.  Bake element of the
electric oven was failing spectacularly -- glowing hotter than red at one spot;
spitting molten metal.  I ran downstairs to turn off the circuit breaker, and
then continued into my 25-hr shutdown.  First thing I did Saturday night was
order a new bake element (for an extra $20 for expedited shipping, sked to
arrive Tuesday!).  THEN I started the contest.

Even to this propagation ignoramus, condx were clearly worse than on CW last
weekend (424 x 160).

By 00Z 15M was closed, and 20M was not so hot.  Even though there were still
lots of easy mults there, I probably should have moved to 40M sooner.  40M was
NOT hopping.  Off to 75M, where my poor 'phone skills limit my score.
Nonetheless, 97 QSOs in first 69 minutes.  Some exhilarating rate bursts
(190/hr).

Almost all running, b/c I can't tune in SSB sigs fast enough to S&P
quickly.  I also noticed for the first time two things: 1) I was called by at
least three guys I could not dig out on 80M/160M; 2) my TS-850's S-meter never
dropped below S-7, even when I heard no signals.  Hmmm.  Time to investigate
home-generated RFI (it's probably from the many neighbors) and to see if there
is a way to turn a chain-link fence into an effective receive antenna.