[3830] CQ160 CW AA1K Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jz73@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW AA1K Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:46:50 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: AA1K
Operator(s): AA1K
Station: AA1K

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Delaware
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 1211  State/Prov = 59  Countries = 52  Total Score = 502,275

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Congrats to K3ZM and W1UE!

Poor conditions to Europe the first night from here but some good hours the
second night. And Sunday morning we had a two-hour opening to JA, with 10 in
the log and some very strong signals. But never heard any KL7 station.

Worked 237 ten-pointers and 69 five-pointers.

Station: Elecraft K3, Alpha 89, BS/EF 325 ft by 146 ft 4-element TX array
toward Europe, 3 el and 4 el parasitic array switchable in 4 directions NE (4
el), SE/SW/NW (3 el) K3LR style.

RX antennas: Two separate BS/EF short-vertical arrays (W8JI style) for NE/SW.
Footprints 296 x 70 ft and 307 by 70 ft. 950-ft single-wire Beverage toward
Europe; stagger-phased 750-ft Beverages toward Europe; stagger-phased 535-ft
Beverages toward Europe. Multiple other single and phased Beverages in various
directions. Some details at www.aa1k.us. Three NCC-1 phasing boxes.

Much of the time either the 950-foot Beverage or the BS/EF transmit array were
the best receiving antennas for Europe, with shorter phased Beverages sometimes
doing better but seldom the short-vertical arrays.

I spent much of my time high in the band to get away from some local RFI
problems.