[3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2015 20:45:13 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 664  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 14  Total Score = 107,240

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

A big score was just not in the offing, due to threat of a terrible snow storm I
was off on a trip to FL about 2 hours after the test ended. I was fatigued both
evenings, so did not stay up for EU sunrise which cost the score dearly. Only
about 3-4 EU countries were worked.
Other than very little from EU for me, conditions were better than ARRL 160
with much better signals from W6-W7. I worked all states except SD and MT
including both KH6 and NL7 well after sunrise Sunday(must have been helped by
RBN). Sunrise was about 1220Z and they called in at 1241 and 1247Z! The other
highlight was being called by OA4 and picking him up on what was probably his
first call with a USA calling in at same time at 0035Z. Lowlight was copying
4L5O solid in the early evening when he heard absolutely no one from NA calling
him, just endless unanswered CQ's. A loud CS2 also could not copy me, but one of
his competitors with same prefix called me later. I worked VO1, and VE1-VE7 +
VE9, but no VY2. Over 30 ON stations were logged! Running stations was
definitely slower than in the ARRL 160, the pile ups were smaller and did not
last long. I tried running on various frequencies and the tried and true usual
best part of the band proved best again. At one point, I had a very clear spot
around 1829 which did not produce good results for long. Report is late due to
vacation, but log was senr in before the contest ended. Now, back to the 1600+
QSL's that came from the bureau, whew!

73, Jeff