[3830] MnQP N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8ii@aol.com
Subject: [3830] MnQP N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 01:58:00 +0000
                    Minnesota QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~8.8

  160:       0        0
   80:       8        1
   40:      61       20
   20:     100       88
   15:       5       14
   10:       0        0
-------------------------
Total:     174      123  Mults = 85  Total Score = 50,490

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

It was an effort to get this report out. First 3830 was down for maintenance,
then I had to download the biggest Windows update ever!

It was pretty clear in the first hour that activity was focused on 40 M and i
was just too far away with a dipole to be a big part of the action. The rules
encourage  MN working MN for multipliers, so I don't fault the strategy that
much. But, it was frustrating that some mobiles spent very little time on 20
especially the first 3 hours and the only one heard on 15 was W0AA. From here.
20 was open from the start until almost 24Z, but 15 was the best band with
strongest signals from at least 16-21Z and despite trying to milk the band for
all it was worth, it was not worth much due to very low activity. Also, I would
guess I only ran half as many MN stations on SSB as the year before when i was
running only 200 W vs. a KW; this is a disturbing trend! More non-contesters
need to be encouraged to operate. Mobile activity was higher on 20 this year,
but some were buried in QRM as one might expect. Kudos to Rich, N0HJZ who
stayed on about the same frequency on 20 phone and was easy to work from every
one of his long list of counties. I know operating mobile is far from a joy in
the middle of a cold MN winter. Thanks to all mobiles for their efforts. I
worked K0PC, W0ZQ (thanks for operating both modes!), NE9U (really running at a
steady fast pace), N0IJ, and N0EO many times as well as catching AC0W and W9FZ
(SSB, think I got all of theirs but one), and KC0DMF in several counties. I
missed Houston and one other county, and just got N0IJ at 2358Z for Cook.
Several times I lucked out catching a mobile just before leaving a county and
getting the first Q in the new one.

I doubt if I operate more than part time after this year. There was K9NW and
N2CU, and then the rest of us. Congrats to both for outstanding scores.

73, Jeff