[3830] ARRLDX CW K1XM M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K1XM M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 03:21:57 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K1XM
Operator(s): KQ1F K1XM
Station: K1XM

Class: M/S LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 34

  160:    0     0
   80:  322    72
   40:  750    93
   20:  484    95
   15:  453    97
   10:  476    91
-------------------
Total: 2485   448  Total Score = 3,334,464

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I usually go to a multi-op for this one but there was a lot of snow cleanup to
do and more snow predicted so I decided to stay home.

The radio was a K3.  An FT-1000mp was connected for SO2R but not used.
Antennas are a Bencher Skyhawk and a 40 meter beam on top of a 90' tower,
another Skyhawk at about 60' fixed on Europe and an 80 meter dipole between the
tower and a couple trees.  We don't have anything up on 160.

I have amplifiers but none of the KW filters are connected so we decided to go
M/S low power.

Friday night the rotator half-died.  By that I mean it would rotate clockwise
only.  It was facing South when this happened.  Saturday morning we used the
lower tribander for Europe and the top tribander for Caribbean and South
America.

Saturday afternoon we spent several hours shoveling snow off of the roof.
Afterwards I opened the rotator control box and found that the problem was with
the rotator itself or with the wiring on the tower.  So I disabled the stops and
ran the rotator until the top antennas were pointed at Europe and left it that
way for the rest of the contest.  We lost some easy Caribbean and Pacific
multipliers because of this.

With luck next year's weather will be better.  We're running out of places to
put snow!