[3830] ARRLDX CW VA7ST SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VA7ST SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 05:47:50 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 26

  160:
   80:   52    16
   40:  160    54
   20:  519    80
   15:  600    73
   10:  180    34
-------------------
Total: 1511   257  Total Score = 1,164,981

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Great conditions Saturday, and still pretty good Sunday (but not as good). Aimed
to beat my previous best high-power score from 2010 and managed that by 0148z
Sunday with almost half the contest remaining.

As the solar cycle progressed, low-power entries since 2010 were generally
better than all previous high-power attempts. I wanted to see what would happen
with a little power before conditions entirely fall apart. Glad I did, as this
was a fun weekend.

Some gems in the log -- found a lonely GJ2 running 5W way up high on 20M, and
ZS6/VA7DX provided the surprise South African mult on a couple of bands, under
big pileups and strong enough to sound like he was stateside.

Only a handful of EU on 10M, and mostly EA/G activity on a pronounced skew of
90 or 100 degrees (rather than the normal 30 degrees).

15M was hopping in all directions, as was 20M. 15M was definitely the stronger
of the two for rate (thanks to lovely long JA runs), while 20M provided more
multipliers.

40M was unbelievable for several hours Friday evening to Europe on the quad.
Not the same on Saturday evening.

80M opened very nicely to JA on Saturday morning before dawn. Wasn't very good
to the Caribbean, and unlike last year I didn't hear a single European signal
on the band this year. I'm sure they were there under the noise.

Thanks for the DX contacts.

-- Bud VA7ST

Year   QSOs  Mults   Score
----   ----  -----   -------