[3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 20:07:45 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 22.5

  160:    0     0
   80:   14     8
   40:   46    19
   20:   82    36
   15:  223    67
   10:  193    72
-------------------
Total:  558   202  Total Score = 338,148

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Station:

Radio: Elecraft K-2,  5 Watts

Antennas:

10-15-20 3 ele SteppIR up 32 feet (10 Meters)
40-80    Butternut HF-2V vertical with 3 radials

Conditions were very good on 10, 15, and 20. And for my station the conditions
on 40 and 80 were exceptional. Now I wish I had put up my 160 inverted L.

After a full effort in WPX RTTY last weekend, I had contest fatigue, and I only
operated during the best times for getting Qs. So I would up with only 22.5
hours in the chair.

I had a good number of QSOs and wound up with 93 different DXCC countries, my
third best ever. I also had 28 zones.

My best Qs were:

80 M: PJ2T and PJ4X, 2 new ones to add to my 80 M DXCC count of 61.

40 M: I got into Europe several times including 4O/E77W. Also PY0F.

20-15-10: I worked two E2s, a country I rarely work in contests. I logged 5 ZS
stations, my best ever by far. I got into Europe over the pole late at night on
15 M, a very rare occurrence for me.

CQing:  I almost never CQ in a DX contest. But I heard strong JA stations doing
S&P on 15 M on Saturday evening, so I tried CQing with the beam west. I was
astonished to have a run of 23 stations, including BA1BI and N7ET/DU7. They
were both also QRP.  This was my only attempt at CQing.

It was a great contest and, as another QRP op noted in his 3830 report, we will
remember this time as the sun spots now start their decline! ....I will be 85
yrs old at the next peak.

73 and CU in the ARRL SSB!    ....Bill