[3830] ARRLDX CW DL8ZAW SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW DL8ZAW SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 20:46:50 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: DL8ZAW
Operator(s): DL8ZAW
Station: DL8ZAW

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: JO40NU
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:   11    10
   80:  105    34
   40:  273    50
   20:  282    54
   15:  287    52
   10:  238    48
-------------------
Total: 1196   248  Total Score = 889,824

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Great contest. The score is my personal best so far.

I just added the 160m coil to my HF2V last week to have some 160m contacts. But
the resonance is much to sharp and not really usable in a contest. So I thought
it may probably be a good idea to use a manual antenna tuner in the shack to
move the resonance point some kcs.

This was not a very good idea!

Two hours after contest start I had my first 160m QSO - then switched to 80m,
but forgot to switch off the tuner. That resulted in a burning amplifier with a
lot of smoke and bad smell because of the very bad SWR. I thought that my high
power contest is over now, but could somehow manage to repair the PA :-).
Amplifier was working again - the bad smell remains for the next hours...

Working conditions:

FTDX3000 + PA (500W)
160m, 80m, 40m: HF2V with 160m coil
20m, 15m, 10m: 3 Element Tribander, 2m above the roof of our house, 14m above
ground

73, Frank, DL8ZAW