[3830] ARRLDX CW W3HKK SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W3HKK SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 01:55:12 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: W3HKK
Operator(s): W3HKK
Station: W3HKK

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 8.8

  160:   45    36
   80:    1     1
   40:   64    41
   20:   35    27
   15:   22    17
   10:   44    32
-------------------
Total:  211   154  Total Score = 97,482

Club: COOKEN

Comments:

Good to excellent cndx  were noted here in central Ohio on 160-10.  20-15-10
were   enjoyable to rotate through.  At no time did I   try to run a frequency,
opting instead for a slow but steady S&P looking for  new countries.

What actually  started out as a 160m  two night quest for new countries became
a bit more wide open once I noticed just how good cndx were on Day 2.  And
after  160m petered out for me ( decent cndx both nights  but stronger signals
on night 2; however I had already worked most of them the night before) I
switched to 40 and found  excellent cndx and easy pickings.  As the sun rose, I
moved up to 20, then 15 then 10 before taking  a long nap, and returning to the
same sequence only in reverse for the final few hours of Day 2.

15 JA's, 11 KH6's and 9 UA9's were my Top Three qso totals, so the polar paths
were in good shape.  Underheard were S.A., Africa, and Asia/Oceana ( other than
JA-land.)

Good pickings were noted on 40-10.  I only wish  a bit more  of EU had made it
to  central Ohio on 160.  The east coast boys seemed to  do pretty well, by
comparison.

Rig:  IC7600 to TT Centurion amp and TT Model 238C AT into a 40 ft tall qtr
wave invL for 160/80m with 24x66' radials; a 2 el phased array switchable
NE/SW; a 4BTV for 20 and 15m; and a ground plane for 10m.  N1MMN+ logger   My
newly added SAL-30 rx antenna proves to be a real boon, not just on 160m, but
80m and 40m as well ( + 60m!)  Its  a pleasure to listen to a 3-5 S unit
reduction in band noise, often stronger signals on the SAL than on the  xmt
antenna, and have the ability to  reduce qrm  levels off the backside. It makes
low band operating far more appealing and much less fatiguing.

Best DX:  TI9/ on 160; KH6/wb4jtt on 80; PW0F on 40; E20HHK on 20; NH2DX on 15;
KH8/k8gu on 10.

After a  fairly poor Jan and Feb, it was great to see the seasonal peak in dx
conditions kick in.  Contests sure have an amazing effect on band conditions!
:)