[3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOSB20(TS) LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOSB20(TS) LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2015 14:23:38 +0000
                    CQ WW RTTY WPX Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB20(TS) LP
QTH: Waltham MA
Operating Time (hrs): 25:45

------------
   80:
   40:
   20:  412
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

This is my favorite RTTY contest, even more than the WW-RTTY in September,
probably because it comes at a time when I need cheering from the wintertime
blues.  Boy, did I need that this year!

I would suggest that more people take advantage of the practice sessions or
operate in the XE-RTTY a week earlier to test their stations and marcos.  In
the first half hour of the contest there were a lot of guys who had no idea
what their marcos were doing.  This continued long into the contest in some
cases and it appeared that ops either weren't watching what they were
transmitting or weren't printing it on their screen (is that possible?).

I made an interesting transition during the contest.  For the first half my
roof was clear, but then a storm dumped snow on it.  Not a lot and not evenly
distributed, due to the wind.  It varied from 4-5 inches at the peak to about a
foot in two corners.  It didn't seem to have an effect on my antenna, but then
it wasn't all that much snow, either.

I tested the conductivity of the snow in my back yard, which was light and
fluffy (and easy to shovel).  I stuck two stainless steel serving spoons in at
various separations and found the resistance to be about 15-20 megohms over a
1-4 distance.  The density of the snow mattered more than the distance.  If I
packed the snow the resistance dropped.  In any case, this snow seemed to be
neither a good conductor nor a good dielectric.  By comparison, two electrodes
8 inches apart in one inch of distilled water showed 2.5 megohms.  I myself am
about 1.2 megohms between my hands.  Guess I'm full of good electrolytes.

This was my first time doing a 20m single band entry in the WPX-RTTY.  Looks as
if I missed a lot of fun on 10m, but I can't be everywhere.  Maybe my
dopplegangers in another universes hit the other bands.  If I had a quantum
station, I could do everything everywhere.  Think of it!

Thanks for the good time.

73,
Ken, AB1J

FT-2000 N1MM-MMVARI-MMTTY-2Tone