[3830] ARRLDX CW K7KU(K0KR) SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0kr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K7KU(K0KR) SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 16:39:07 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K7KU
Operator(s): K0KR
Station: K7KU

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: Wyoming
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20: 1130   105
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total: 1130   105  Total Score = 351,540

Club:

Comments:

Single-band 20m is the same category I entered last year.  So let's take a look
at some year-to-year comparisons.

>Peak Day-1 QSO rates were higher in 2014 than they were this year.

>Peak Day-2 QSO rates, too, were higher in 2014.

>20m closed earlier on Friday night than it did in 2014.

>20m closed earlier on Saturday night, too, than it did the previous year.

>Indeed, the band remained open *to somewhere* almost around the clock, both
days, in 2014.  Not so this year.

>In contrast to 2014, there was pronounced, almost VHF-like "spot
light" propagation to EU during much of this year's contest.  As a result,
signals from prominent kW EU stations were often near my noise floor (and,
therefore, difficult to copy) while, at the same time, even QRP signals from a
few hundred miles away were loud and clear.

>This year, Day 2 was far more productive than Day 2 in 2014.  In 2014, Day
2 produced 465 Q's (40% of my total for both days) and 15 new Mults (14% of my
total for both days).  This year, on the other hand, Day 2 produced 550 Q's
(47% of my total for both days) and 23 new Mults (22% of my total for both
days).  Day 2 provided a welcome relief from a somewhat disappointing Day 1.

I'm afraid that, this year, I could detect quite a number of EU callers so near
my noise floor that it was not possible to copy a call sign or, often, even a
single character of a call sign.  I regret not having been able to hand out a
QSO to such callers.  In many instances, too, a successful QSO was achievable
only with several repeats.  This, perhaps more so than the level of
participation, might well account for my overall lower QSO rates in 2015. I
thank each of you for your efforts to reach me, and for your patient repeats
where necessary.

Thanks to one and all for the Q's.

RIG:  Kenwood TS-950SDX
AMP:  Alpha 86