[3830] CQ160 SSB NI5T(@N5BG) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lgriggs@aznex.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB NI5T(@N5BG) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 03:19:36 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: NI5T
Operator(s): K7JEM N5BG W5CF
Station: N5BG

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 511  State/Prov = 53  Countries = 8  Total Score = 71,431

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

NI5T Soap box

N5BG, K7JEM, W5CF

Friday afternoon started off very slowly. Prior to sundown, contacts were few
and far between. We had a static noise come up with bursts of S9+ noise across
the band for a  period of time. One of the ranchers has a fence charger, which
added a cyclic click to the frequency. Thankfully the noise bursts went away as
the sun approached the horizon. The electric fence proved to be of no concern.

As the sun set locally, it was more like popping pop-corn, with occasional
contacts and periods of quiet. Q-rates grew slowly and were in the 20’s and
finally in the 30’s.

After a key contact and a spot, things picked up drastically, about 0415Z. Q
rate climbed near 50 for a two-hour period. The true joy of contesting was
experienced as calls were continuous, sometimes two and three at a time. Larry
N5BG warmed up our dinner on the Alpha 99  (LOL).

All equipment seemed to be working great. Positions 1 & 2 have individually
selectable receive beverage antennas, and all were working, although the NE
beverage seemed much quieter than the others. We only tripped the amp out once
for being out of it’s SWR range, but that contact was a needed multiplier and
Joe K7JEM went for it barefoot!

By the end of day 1, WAS had been achieved with KL7RA calling us. All states
filled, and 5 Canadian provinces and with 450+ Q’s in the books, Missed the
DC multiplier this year, did not hear them at all. We called it a day.

As to the challenge of N7GP(N5IA) he reported about 25 more Q’s in his book
at sunrise. He had several DX multipliers that we didn’t, which put his score
about 10K above ours. The 25 Q’s from Milt’s Super-station weren’t that
bad on the pride, close enough we figured…but 10K…. The stage was set for
day 2.

Day 2 began around sundown here in NM. No need to waste time we thought during
daylight hours. Things ran very slow for next 4 to 5 hours. Many of the same
stations that we had already worked the previous night. K7JEM was not available
the 2nd night, then Rick W5CF became ill and had to go home. We decided to shut
it down around 0500 hrs.

All in all fun was had by all three of us at the Virden Contest Club. We are
looking forward to a better time next year.  See you all then .