[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K1LT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 02:54:19 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

  160:   45    34
   80:  113    57
   40:  161    74
   20:  225    89
   15:  307   106
   10:  317    99
-------------------
Total: 1168   459  Total Score = 1,608,336

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

I went into this contest without any particular plan other than to do
more than last year.  Goal achieved!  I made more QSOs, more
multipliers and more points in more hours.  All operating was P & S
(point and shoot), although I tuned 160 a few times and tuned a little
on 80 as well.  I was more careful about pouncing on spots to make
sure I knew the callsign before calling.  Also, I think there were
fewer bad spots than last year.

I think the traps on my Cushcraft X7 are dying.  The SWR has crept up
to the level on 15 that I use the antenna tuner to make the amplifier
happy.  However, the antenna still seems to perform well.

I didn't use the phased arrays on 160 for phone contests because I am
lazy and I didn't get around to recabling the audio to make that work.
Conditions on 160 seemed very good.  I missed UA2F on 160 because he
choose the same frequency that WA0RCR in St. Louis uses for his weekly
news broadcast.  I couldn't when UA2F was speaking through the AM
sidebands, even though the K3 "notch" filter does a nice job
removing
the carrier.  If I had been using the phased array, I might have been
able to steer a null in the direction of WA0RCR.

There was an interesting contrast in polar propagation between Friday
and Saturday evening versus Sunday evening.  Propagation Friday and
Saturday evening was fairly normal.  I could work lots of Asian and
Oceanic goodies for several hours.  Sunday evening the JAs were late
and weak, and KL7RA just CQed in my face, although I could barely hear
him.

I took several breaks from the contest to put a new radio on the air.
I am replacing the 2.5 GHz link that brings my Internet connection to
my house with faster 5.8 GHz equipment.  Without wireless, I would be
stuck using 1-mbps AT&T DSL.  With wireless, I can get 16-mbps cable
Internet without the cable.  On the bench the 2 5.8 GHz radios could
pass data at 300 mbps which boggles my mind since this stuff evolved
from 1200 baud packet radio.  These Ubiquiti radios even have a
built-in spectrum analyzer.

DX worked: 3V, 4L, 4X, 5Z, 6Y, 7X, 8P, 9A, 9K, 9V, 9Y, A6, A7, A9, BV,
BY, C6, C9, CE, CM, CT, CT3, CU, CX, DL, DU, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EI, ES,
EU, F, FG, FM, FP, FR, FS, FY, G, GD, GI, GJ, GM, GU, GW, HA, HB, HB0,
HC, HI, HK, HL, HP, HR, HS, HZ, I, IS, J7, JA, KH2, KH6, KL, KP2, KP4,
LA, LU, LX, LY, LZ, OA, OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4,
PJ7, PY, S5, SM, SP, SU, SV, SV5, SV9, T32, T8, TA, TF, TG, TI, TK,
UA, UA2, UA9, UN, UR, V2, V3, VK, VP2M, VP5, VP9, VR, XE, YL, YN, YO,
YU, YV, Z3, ZF, ZL, ZP, ZS for a total of 123 entities.

Worked P49Y, TI5W, TI5M, 6Y2M, TO66R, ZF2DX, V26M, PJ2T, VP2MLL,
VP9/W6PH, YN2AA, C6ATF, EE8Z, PJ4G, T46A, FP/KV1J, CS2C, TO5A, NP2X,
E7DX, CR3L, II9P, TM6M, 9A1A, ED7P, G5W, C6ANA, 8P5A, 9A1P, EI7M,
EA5KA, NP2P, and IR4M on 6 bands.

Equipment: Elecraft K3 & P3, Alpha 8410, tribander and verticals.