[3830] ARRLDX SSB VA7BEC SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, va7bec@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VA7BEC SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 05:06:00 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA7BEC
Operator(s): VA7BEC
Station: VA7BEC

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:    9     9
   40:   65    35
   20:  211    82
   15:  251    64
   10:   75    32
-------------------
Total:  611   222  Total Score = 406,926

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were, for the most part, dismal. Things started off not too badly,
with search and pounce at a pretty good rate. 40m and 80m were tough, but
perhaps a bit better than last year. I had great hopes that I would at least
match or, better yet, exceed last year's results. I was looking forward to some
EU on Saturday morning, my time, but as the sun came up, conditions crumbled. I
persevered, trying to run when I exhausted the available (what I could hear)
pool of potential search and pounce stations. Unfortunately, the run rate was
snail's pace.
For huge blocks of time, it semed like all the bands were closed, leaving just
noise and a few big-signal stations in North America -- generally, on the east
coast -- having Qs with unknown entities. Well, I couldn't hear the stations on
the other side of the QSO.
The A-index was enormously high, and the aurora cover made over-the-pole Qs
hugely challenging if not downright impossible for much of Saturday mid-day
through Sunday morning.
10m was awful until maybe four hours before the end of the contest. In 2014,
10m was by far the best band. This year, 15m and 20m were the most productive.

In the end, the mult count is not too much different from last year, but the Q
count is considerably lower, buoyed somewhat by a large percentage of JAs. Had
I logged all the NA stations who called to give the lonely CQ-calling YL a
point, my log would be quite a bit bigger, albeit with many zero-point Qs.
Despite the difficulties, I have quite a few stations on four bands and six
(8P5A, C6ANA JH1EAQ KH7XX PJ2T PJ4G TI5W) on five bands.
There were, as always, highlights, such as T32AZ, CQ zone 21 Qs, finally
catching the attention of KH2L through a seemingly never-ending pileup in the
last minutes of the contest.
It was great to hear -- and be heard by -- so many familiar callsigns, too.
Thanks for all the Qs.
See you again at the end of the month for CQ WPX SSB.
73,
Rebecca VA7BEC