[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7RL SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:41:02 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7RL
Operator(s): K7RL
Station: K7RL

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: WA
Operating Time (hrs): 39
Radios: SO2R

  160:    7     7
   80:  114    40
   40:  606    89
   20:  840   109
   15:  920   102
   10:  157    67
-------------------
Total: 2647   414  Total Score = 3,287,574

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

Truly a roller coaster ride this weekend. The low point was the radio blackout
around 22:00z on Saturday. It took several hours for the bands to bounce back
to full strength in what should have been prime running time.

10m was rough. Like N6RO mentioned, all EU was skew path and the window of
opportunity to work them was extremely short - I almost missed it. Signals were
weak but workable. Thanks to the big gun stations for hearing me! Many thanked
me for the new multiplier, and I was just as grateful!

Conditions to Asia were extremely poor on Friday and Saturday. When the usual
big gun stations are S3-4, you know it’s not going to happen. By Sunday
afternoon, conditions improved, but it felt like the damage was done. As a side
note, I heard many east coast stations working Asia and South Pacific Saturday
afternoon and not a peep here. I suppose we were being skipped over �"
how perfect (sarcasm). Strange conditions.

15m took a couple hours after sunrise to finally open to EU. Even then, it was
a struggle to establish any kind of run. With everyone else around the country
seemingly enjoying solid propagation, I felt like the tiny ant trying to avoid
being stepped on by giants; constantly moving around so my puny S7-9 signal
didn’t crushed by the RF wall of +20/30 signals back east. Late morning I
finally felt loud enough to hold a frequency for any length of time.

The band opened much earlier down south as I heard many stations in W6 and W7
(AZ) working EU. A suppose that’s a glimpse of things to come as this solar
cycle winds down.

20m was very good to EU in the morning. It’s nice to see the band returning
to this type of propagation again.

40m was a little disturbed to EU Friday night. Signals were down and I felt
like some of the louder stations struggled to hear me. Conditions to Asia,
however, were excellent. I took a big chunk of time off Sunday morning, so most
of my Qs came from Friday/Saturday night. I don’t think conditions were as
good Sunday morning, so I’m glad to have slept instead.

80m was unusually good to Asia Friday/Saturday night. Maybe the best I’ve
ever heard. Worked a healthy number of 5, 10, 100 and 200 watt stations that
had excellent signals. Even worked a few EU stations.

I have nothing to say about 160m (yawn).

Thanks to all for the Qs!

73, Mitch, K7RL