[3830] Rus DX M5E(G0CKV) SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.com
Subject: [3830] Rus DX M5E(G0CKV) SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2015 22:21:21 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest

Call: M5E
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: GB2GM

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: Poldhu, Cornwall
Operating Time (hrs): 21

  160:    92     1       42        26
   80:   175     6       52        49
   40:   149     5       46        47
   20:   271    91       74        65
   15:   191    35       57        60
   10:   216    15       45        58
Total:  1094   153      316       305  Total Score = 5,383,449

Club:

Comments:

This was a portable/field day/dxp-style event for me. The location (GB2GM, the
site for Marconi's first transatlantic tests) is great, quiet and with a good
take-off to the west and OK to the east. Idea was to play with SO2R but I
messed it up thoroughly and additionally I managed to create antenna issues.
All this of my own making - no excuses. In the end I had a 14m T with 40
radials for 160, an inverted V dipole at 50ft for 80, a jury-rigged dipole for
40 but only after midnight and a hexbeam at 35ft for 20/15/10 in stead of the
tribander yagi planned for 55ft and a single K3 with the second K3 staring at
me with a disappointed look on its face panel.

But this has to be one of my favorite contests. Great rules, the right approach
to scoring and log-checking, albeit demanding, and to top it off, great CW
operators. I had planned to have more SSB in the mix but was taken aback by the
plethora of badly over-compressed and over-driven signals.

Mostly S&P here - I had difficulties getting a run going and holding on to
my frequency with this setup and a plain vanilla low-points no-multiplier
attraction.

73 Olof G0CKV (M5E, SM5CKV, W6CKV)