[3830] WPX SSB AK5X(K5YAA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB AK5X(K5YAA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 02:21:58 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AK5X
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OK
Operating Time (hrs): 33

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  474
   20:  529
   15:  378
   10:  135
------------

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

My highest score ever in a WPX Contest and on SSB at that which is neither my
favorite mode nor the better of my operating skills. I used a single radio as I
am still working on my SO2R setup rebuild. Some very fine scores here in 5 land,
almost double my Q count. I just talk too slow I think.

Pretty good overall band conditions. 40 was better Saturday morning than
Sunday. 20 stayed awake most of the night. 10 and 15 were open until the end
Sunday. Probably the best call in the log is 9N7WE who called LP on 15 to my
surprise. I think it was long path, it could however have been short path since
Nepal is pretty much on the other side of the world from Oklahoma going either
direction.

I heard no arguments, no belly aching and no fights over who owned what
frequency. Something refreshing for SSB operations. Overall the quality of
signals was pretty good. A few raspy sounding ones but very few.

I did a double take when WA0WWW showed up as I had just worked WW0WWW and
didn't think there could be that many Ws around but there they were.

I would say I need to practice my skill at SSB contesting but naw, I think I'll
just let that go by and resign myself to never winning a SSB test. I could tell
the good operators as they were pretty much ahead of me by at least my Q count
the whole game. About the only guy I was whipping was K9PG but every body whips
on him what with only a wire for radiating and funny looking clothing from the
Goodwill store.

I took the liberty to read the mail a few minutes when NZ5I (K5WA) was working
JAs on 40 meters early Sunday morning. Very smooth and Bob threw in several
Japanese phrases to keep things moving along. Great work.

Also fun to see what call N4PN came up with for this one. He's a beggar I guess
because he gets some doozers to use and doesn't seem to care where they come
from as long as they are in high demand. NF4A was behind me a hundred Qs fairly
early on but blew me away as time progressed. Fun to work so many folks who
either recognized my voice or had a bead on my SSB operating skill as a number
of folks called me by name even though I wasn't using my own call sign. I
pulled a N4PN and borrowed mine from my longtime friend Bill, AK5X. He said, I
hope I don't go to jail for this. I told him I would come bail him out if that
happened.

Still lacking an 80 meter antenna so I did short change myself a bit as 80
would likely been as good as 15 for Qs. Some of the numbers I heard worldwide
were phenomenal. Some really top notch operators and stations out there.

Thanks to the sponsors of and workers for the WPX, one of the fun contests all
year long.

73 - Jerry K5YAA aka AK5X for WPX SSB

Rig: K3 Alpha 9500 Force 12 antennas 6el 20 3el 40 6el 15 and 8el 10. N1MM
logging.