[3830] WPX SSB ZF2DX(@ZF1PB) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB ZF2DX(@ZF1PB) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:35:51 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ZF2DX
Operator(s): ZF2DX
Station: ZF1PB

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:    0
   80:  216
   40:  284
   20: 1090
   15: 1265
   10: 1364
------------

Club: Cayman Amateur Radio Society

Comments:

Phil, ZF1PB, was a great host again for another big contest weekend.  Phil's
setup of a TH-11 at 75 feet and an all band vertical were great all weekend
long.  The vertical did double duty as it was used for transmit on 40 and 80
and receive on the second radio on the high bands.

Going into the contest I was hoping to make a run at the North American low
power record of 12 million points held by 8P3A (VE3DZ op.).  However, after the
first six hours of the contest I was about ready to quit as conditions on 40 and
80 were dreadful, and I was never able to get any runs (even into the U.S.)
going on the low bands.  Loud U.S. stations on 40 just CQed in my face. WP2Z
stopped by on 80 and we were neck and neck after the first few hours of the
contest.  This provided some motivation to stay in the game and keep working
the second radio hard.

20 meters was great throughout the entire contest.  Worked some really cool
stuff like TY2, OD5, A61, VU2, ST2.  15 provided great runs into Europe, NA,
and even Japan.  10 meters was excellent Saturday but conditions really hurt
the band on Sunday.  10 was only open to Western Europe on Sunday except when a
VU3 called in around noon local time!

Thankfully 40 and 80 came alive the second night and I was able to have some
runs into the U.S. and Europe on both bands.  80 was packed with Europe and it
was really fun working all of them with 100 watts.  My QSO total on 40 should
have been around 500 but my signal just wasn't loud enough on that band.

One gripe... I know with certainty that whenever P33W or E7DX calls me that
there will be at least a 7 second delay in their response to my exchange.  It's
annoying for the people that are waiting to work me to wait on you while you are
working others on your multiple radios in the multi single category.  My
solution was to just put them in time out whenever they didn't respond promptly
to my exchange.  I worked a few other stations and then worked the culprits
whenever the pileup died down.

I'm looking forward to seeing the scores of NP4Z, NP2X, and whoever else is out
there in the low power category.  I was able to beat the NA record but I'm sure
that others did as well this weekend.  Towards the end of the contest, I set a
goal of beating the line score for the world record set by P40A which is 4119
Qs and 1051 mults for 15.4 million points.

Thanks for all of the Qs and fun mults.  After 13,000 contacts in the month of
March it is time to hit the power button on the radio and enjoy island life
with my family.

73,

Kevin ZF2DX