[3830] WPX SSB ON3DI SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, on3di@uba.be
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB ON3DI SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 14:47:54 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ON3DI
Operator(s): ON3DI
Station: ON3DI

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:    0
   80:  165
   40:    4
   20:  215
   15:  127
   10:  195
------------

Club:

Comments:

Hi,

The original plan was to work as a single operator on 10m. Had some good
results during the ARRL SSB 10m and WPX RTTY. Anyway I heard that the
conditions the last weeks dropped on 10m, so I had the plan in my head to start
on 80m and so I did. I started at 3u UTC, working the usual local stations. I
was surprised when K6ND called me on 80m, nice!
After an hour of two, just on the moment when the sun was coming up I checked
10m, no signals yet... So I went to 20m and worked their D4C, 9K4Z, ZV2K and an
incredible strong CN2AA. After that I went to 15m, worked my first JA of the
contest, so I started to call CQ. Really soon I was happy when HL2DBP came back
to my call. Nevertheless the pile-up was short and I went again to 10m.
Worked their a new DXCC, 7QAA! Did some S&P and worked A61, A71, ... Anyway
I was still to soon so I went to 20m and their I had a pile-up, finally! Worked
only Europe and some Siberia.
With a nice feeling I changed band to 10m again and worked again a new DXCC,
ET3AA! Worked also BV0J, HS0ZHC, the only far DX I heard...
I was looking forward to the openings to USA, the first station was WY3P.
Calling CQ had still no effect so I did S&P and worked USA, few VA and more
PY, LU, CE then I thought. I finished day 1 with 500 qso's, so I was dreaming
about the 1000 qso's....

Same start on day 2, went to 80m, and found really soon a clear spot. Called CQ
and CQ but no answers, BUT DB2B was so kind to spot me and then I had a pile-up
again. Worked more USA then usual. But then the joy was gone. The rates really
dropped on the other bands. Normally I can hear a lot of UA and UT stations but
not on Sunday, it was a disaster... Some highlights were the qso's with ZS9Z,
XW1IC, 5V7SM (new DXCC!), and KH7XX. KH7XX was calling CQ early in the morning
on 20m. Think I called him 30 times when he said 'something India', but then
also 'sorry to weak'. Most of the guys let it go, but not ON3DI ;-)! A few
minutes later I had the QSO!!!

On sunday I haven't copied a single USA station on 10m, shocking!

Anyway the WX conditions were bad (just like the WPX conditions hi), the wind
was blowing hard, raining,... The antenna was dancing, just like the SWR, not a
good sign. Earlier then normal I quit around 16 UTC, it was enough. I had 700
qso's, a lot less then the 1000 I dreamed about on saturday. Not my best
contest but I'm happy that I worked some new DXCC's!

A last note about CN2AA, they have an incredible score (new claimed WR). Last
year I was at SK3W with some youngsters and we were happy with a score around
the 25 million, CN2AA has 130million, unbelievable!

Thanks for the qso's.

Working conditions: FT897 and only 50w.

73,

Pieter ON3DI