[3830] WPX SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB(TS) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB C4Z(5B4AIZ) SOAB(TS) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 11:18:24 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: C4Z
Operator(s): 5B4AIZ
Station: 5B4AIZ

Class: SOAB(TS) HP
QTH: LARNACA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   54
   15:  474
   10:  692
------------

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

After gaining a world no 1 winners plaque for last years event I was more than
disappointed when the xyl had made unavoidable plans for the weekend so I just
had to fit in what operating I could around those commitments. It is not the
same when you cannot be competetive but doing mainly S&P looking for dxcc
countries  was enjoyable enough.

So it was a strange looking operating schedule with 15 mtrs only on Saturday
until 16z, then 10 mtrs on Sunday followed by short sessions on 15 then 20 as
the higher bands mainly closed up for the night.

On Saturday cndx were a bit spotty and the band was noisey I did a few runs
rarely managing a last 10 more than 150. Sunday on 10m was much better with
lots of activity and again it was mainly S&P but made several runs and one
time I had a full hour just a tad short of 200 which is good when just running
EU when we do meet a few of the clueless who give you the name but can't seem
to understand why you need a number when evry qrg around they have heard are
swapping numbers!

DX cndx were good and it is always a thrill to get a call  from E5, ZL on the
long path whilst running EU, especially on 10mtrs. What was disappointing
though was the absence of propagation to NA on both 15 & 10 with only the
biggest guns making it through at no great strength, at least at the times I
was active. Not being able to work USA puts a big hole in the prefix count.

There are still too many wide and splattery signals around. There was one
station in particular who was 4,600km west, and slightly south, of me who was
blanking everything out anywhere near him. One time when I was tuning through
he was calling with a normal acceptable signal. I guess someone must have told
him and he toned it down, however as he was getting no takers he wound it back
up again. IF CQ Committee are serious about wishing to clean up their contests
then we can but hope that they will be checking their audio recordings and
taking some action. It really is frustrating enough to find a dx stn working
underneath a strong running station but when that dx station is 2khz away and
gets wiped out that is surely unacceptable,

Thanks to all who gave me a contact, I hope to be back for the cw leg in a
couple of months and the xyl has been shown the calendar!

73  Brian,