[3830] SP DX K6ND(N1RR) SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n1rr@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] SP DX K6ND(N1RR) SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 17:13:33 +0000
                    SP DX Contest

Call: K6ND
Operator(s): N1RR
Station: K6ND

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

  160:   17            12
   80:   43            14
   40:  102            16
   20:  181            16
   15:  155            16
   10:   12             8
---------------------------
Total:  510     0      82  Total Score = 125,460

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Will K6ND and Pam K6NDV for the use of the station.

My previous entry in SPDX was also SOABHP-CW back in 2002. That effort was 480
x 80 and was #1 in USA in that category, so I already knew what to do for this
year.

A wind storm came Saturday afternoon and broke 1 wire element of 160M 4-Square.
It was fortunate that I saw the wire and rope down in a reflection off of a
monitor screen at 3PM # Saturday while it was still daylight.

Will decided it was too windy to return the inverted-L element into the trees,
so he chose to re-configure the array into a single 2 element. Thanks Will !
The antenna worked well but did not dominate like it usually does. The wind
storm also contained QRN which impacted several bands for several hours.

Each year it seems that your results on 160M, 80M and 10M will decide your
placement among the top scores along with your ability to hear on the lowbands
and stay wake through 0410Z for SP sunrise operating on the lowbands and then
settle down for several slow hours on 20M after that, until our sunrise
approached. After that, it's the long wait for the clock to reach 1500Z ! I
took a few short naps, since I only slept 4 hours the night before.

-Charlie N1RR

# - I think we will check the wire elements at 3PM of every day of any and all
contests from now on.