[3830] 144SprngSprnt WW7D/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 144SprngSprnt WW7D/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 19:17:00 +0000
                    144 MHz Spring Sprint

Call: WW7D/R
Operator(s): WW7D
Station: WW7D

Class: Rover LP
QTH: CN97
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 67  Mults = 23  Tot Dist(km) = 0  Total Score = 1,541

Club: Pacific Northwest VHF Society

Comments:

It was quite a Sprint.   I worked the CN97/CN87/CN96/CN86 intersection.

We had a cold rain that kept me awake for the starting grid (CN97) at about
1,300' on Mud Mtn.  Using an 8 element WA5VJB Cheap Yagi at 25', I worked lots
of stations, mostly in CN87 (Seattle region), but I did manage to catch VE7AFZ
in CN89, K7YDL in CN85 (near portland), and KD7HB in CN94 (on the other side of
the Cascade mountains).

After 45 minutes, I lowered the mast and headed into CN87 for the 30 minute
trip to CN86.  CN87 was moderately productive, besides a bunch of CN87
stations, I worked K7YDL (CN85) and VE76AFZ (CN89) en route using a 4 element
Cheap Yagi on the front of the truck.

By the time I hit the CN86 border (at 2,150') it was snowing heavily, but
melting on contact with the gravel road.  The CN96 border was 5 miles away and
at 3,100'. While headed there, I worked a bunch of CN87 stations, as well as
K7PG in CN86, K7AYP and K7YDL in CN85, and KD7HB in CN94, all while in motion,
off of the 4 el yagi.

Once I hit CN96 (at 3,200') I set up the mast in a genuine blizzard.  There was
a couple of inches of snow accumulated on the road.  Again, I worked my friends
in CN87 as well as K7YDL (CN85), KD7HB (CN94) and VE7AFZ (CN89).  At 9pm local,
I heard a weak CW signal from my buddy John, KF7PCL, on the Pacific coast in
CN76, and worked him.

Twenty minutes later, I lowered the mast and headed back into CN86 and set up
the mast.  After I worked KF7PCL (CN76) on CW again, I made a CW CQ and heard a
weak reply from N7SC in CN82 in SW Oregon.    After that, I hightailed it back
to CN96, set up the mast and tried calling N7SC again, but no joy.

About that time, KC7EQO showed up from CN88.  This was the first CN88 station I
had heard all night.  That meant another trip back in to CN86 to work KC7EQO
again, and I also picked up VE7AFZ (CN89) before turning around and hitting
CN96 for one last (unsuccessful) attempt to work N7SC from that grid.

At 10:15 pm (local), I decided that my best bet was to try to work KC7EQO from
CN87 and CN97 for the multipliers.   I made a 10 minute dash down to the CN87
boarder and worked KC7EQO again, and then made a mad dash for Mud Mtn (CN97).
I hit the CN97 boarder with about 8 minutes to go, and worked a couple of CN87
stations in motion, alas, I was not able to find KC7EQO again.  I pulled into a
parking area at 1,300 feet with 30 seconds to spare, but couldn't find him using
 the 4 el yagi.

CN97:  QSOs: 20, Mults: CN85, CN87, CN89, CN94
CN87:  QSOs: 14, Mults: CN85, CN87, CN88, CN89
CN86:  QSOs: 19, Mults: CN76, CN82, CN85, CN86, CN87, CN88, CN89, CN94
CN96:  QSOs: 14, Mults: CN76, CN85, CN86, CN87, CN88, CN89, CN94