[3830] 144SprngSprnt W8SPM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 144SprngSprnt W8SPM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 23:35:06 +0000
                    144 MHz Spring Sprint

Call: W8SPM
Operator(s): W8SPM
Station: W8SPM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FM08-Spruce Knob
Operating Time (hrs): 4

Total:  QSOs = 78  Mults = 37  Tot Dist(km) = 1  Total Score = 2,886

Club:

Comments:

Operated Portable from FM08-Spruce Knob,WV- I had been there for a couple days
before the Sprint and had worked about 6-10 grids I did not hear in the Contest
? Heavy Rain was coming in from the west and really killed that path !I ran
about 80-90 watts from a old amp I brought with me! I am now using a Aluma
Tower TM-12 crank up tower trailer that will get me to 64'! This was the first
time I have used it at Spruce Knob and it took me nearly 2 days to get it up
all the way because of the heavy winds on top the mountain ! I usually operate
on batteries but used a Honda EI-2000 inverter to a Astron Power Supply so I
could run the small amplifier I brought with me  that was about 30 years old
with a blown pre-amp ! As soon as the contest was over I started tearing down
in the dark with headlights from my Jeep and about 2:30 am the rain started
with heavy fog and I'm guessing several inches of rain fell before 8:30 am the
next morning when I left! The fog was so bad about 3 am I got lost in the
parking lot on top the mountain ! So I sat it out till morning and then drove
home!
 This was my 43rd time here since around 1980 and I considered this pretty poor
conditions ?
  Hope to be back in 2 weeks to run the 432 Sprint and in June and September
for the ARRL Contest ?  Sam  W8SPM