[3830] 7QP W7VP Cnty Exped SO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP W7VP Cnty Exped SO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 May 2015 23:58:37 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: W7VP
Operator(s): W7VP
Station: W7VP

Class: Cnty Exped SO LP
QTH: Skagit County
Operating Time (hrs): 18

  160:
   80:
   40:   58
   20:  121
   15:   36
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  215     0       0  Mults = 49  Total Score = 49

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I drove to the Thousand Trails campground north of Burlington on Friday and
selected a large campsite on the top of the hill hoping to get a low noise
location.  The campsite was very large and permitted assembly of two vertical
antennas.  Noise level was in fact very low.

I assembled and tuned the Bravo 7K vertical dipole for 40 meters, minimizing
the SWR with the MFJ antenna analyzer. The I assembled the CrankIR with four 6
foot extensions and attached it to the truck in the trailer hitch receiver.
Tuned it to 20 meters using the radial assembly and the MFJ antenna analyzer.

Assembled the rig from the go box using the new FT-991.  This was the first
major effort with the FT-991.  Attached to the laptop with two USB cables, one
for CAT/Soundcard and one for FSK.

The new rig acted strangely with the internal tuner enabled but worked well
without it given the low SWR of the antennas. Both antennas worked well with
the CrankIR doing a great job and even logging some European DX.

I worked the entire 18 hour period as an expedition station, low power,
multi-band, CW only. I took off a number of rest periods and took the dog for
several walks.

Total was 215 Q's with 49 mults for a claimed score of 31,458.

The rig was easy to use and very user friendly with the touch screen,  Although
the spectrum was small it was pretty useful by touching "sweep" and
checking the location of the signals.  Reception was very good and the receiver
is excellent.  Interference was easily controlled using the narrow filter and
the width control.

All in all it was a good exercise with the new rig and I look forward to using
it more in the future.

73

Bill

W7VP