[3830] 7QP N7WA/M MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 7QP N7WA/M MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 04:37:19 +0000
                    7th Call Area QSO Party

Call: N7WA/M
Operator(s): N7WA
Station: N7WA/M

Class: MobileCW LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    0     0       0
   80:    0     0       0
   40:   20     0       0
   20:  254     0       0
   15:   72     0       0
   10:    0     0       0
    6:    0     0       0
    2:    0     0       0
----------------------------
Total:  346     0       0  Mults = 51  Total Score = 52,632

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

It was a tough slog. Nearly 800 miles round trip to activate 14 eastern
Washington counties. I sat on the county lines for the most efficiency since I
had to do both driving and operating. I gave myself 30 minutes at each line.
Fifteen sucked though I managed a few. Forty sucked worse and there didn't seem
to be many locals around like the Salmon Run. During my last stop (around 8PM
local), I thought I could make it up on 40M but the noise level was S7. I need
to find an alternate location for the Yakima/Benton County line. Twenty was ok
but propagation could have been better. I did manage to catch the attention of
a few Europeans and Atsushi (running JA1YNE) in Japan. The score is way down
from last year.

This was a special trip though. I took along my 7 year old grand-daughter. She
can't drive or operate so I expect that keeps me a legal Single-Op. In fact, I
think it made me a 3/4 op because she couldn't resist asking questions during
those 30 minute operations. She was pretty patient when I held up my finger
indication "wait!". One doesn't expect a 7 year old to handle driving
all day without getting bored so I made short strategic stops at interesting
locations (windmills, the Grand Coulee Dam, ice cream, a real tumble-weed, and
the like).
I also managed to operate from some kid-friendly locations that sit on county
lines.  I put her in charge of the camera and the GPS. It's amazing how fast
they pick up electronics these days. Unfortunately, Grandpa didn't think to put
some games on his tablet. It was a great bonding experience and never once did
she say "are we there yet?" We'll see next year if she is interested
to try it again. However, the inside of the truck was a disaster when we got
home.

I was hoping to use the K3 for this trip. It worked well the week prior in
trials but Thursday before going, it kept turning off whenever I transmitted.
Not sure if it was power or RFI. With no time to troubleshoot, the IC-706 was
the easiest thing to go back too.

Lots of fun, thanks for the Q's.

cheers
dink