[3830] WPX CW AK5X(K5YAA) SOSB15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW AK5X(K5YAA) SOSB15 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 00:36:11 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: AK5X
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH: OK
Operating Time (hrs): 28:15

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:    0
   20:    0
   15: 1476
   10:    0
------------

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

Strokin' for 3 million points but the well dried up the last hour. Best effort
ever in this one as my score is double what I did in the early 2000's in all
band efforts. Maybe 4 million would have been in the cards with an all band
showing.

15 meters was in great shape the entire contest as each evening went until
early morning. Many Asians each night with good signals and Europeans kept
coming in very late each evening. Stations called in off the side, front and
rear. My friend said, "Maybe it's pointing up!" Seems a vertical
would have done as well because that was how the signals were rolling in. Super
fun.

Fine tuned the rotor placement of the 15 meter yagi for the Sunday morning run
into Europe and had much better returns than Saturday morning when I was
guessing which way to point it. A 30 meter yagi is affecting the 15 meter yagi
and it makes for some interesting "degree readings" on the rotor
controller.

Each evening the yagi was pointed somewhere into the Pacific but it didn't seem
to matter as very strong European signals came blowing through with JAs, VKs,
ZLs and BYs. Good activity from everywhere except Africa. Thanks to A71EM,
A42A,  7Z1HL, 7Z1SJ and ZS90IARU for the African Continent.

My thanks to CQ for again sponsoring this one. The WPX is a good one and always
brings out the prefix hunters and givers. A fun contest.

Also, a special thanks to my good friend Bill, AK5X for the use of his FB
prefix in this one. I was called Bill a handful of times but wasn't bothered.
You can call me Ray, Ray Jay or even Bill.

I did my best not to embarrass Bill although there was one incident when a
fellow came up under me and insisted on using my frequency I had been on ALL
day starting at 6:45AM (very early for me). An actual battle ensued to see who
could wrest the calls out of the myriad of callers. One ol' boy sent
"Kids". He must have been an OT.

I didn't get the call of the bandit but I wasn't about to allow some likely,
mega station guest operator to just camp on my frequency - it went on for a
good number of minutes and I finally caved - scooted up about 2 Khz and started
up again. Best for the log, the hobby and the score. Hope the guys amp blew up
on him and his antenna fell down around his knees.

73 - Jerry K5YAA

Rig: K3, Alpha 9500 and a 6el Force monoband yagi up 60' on a 90' cliff. Still
working out the details of my second tower or would have been an all band
effort. N1MM+ for logging and sending some FB CW. Like that program.