[3830] WPX CW KT8K SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KT8K SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2015 01:02:17 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Michigan
Operating Time (hrs): 33:58

------------
  160:    0
   80:    9
   40:  218
   20:  227
   15:  174
   10:   14
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Another fun contest is in the books, and I hope everyone had as much fun as I
did.  The bands were great Friday and Saturday night, awful Saturday and Sunday
mornings, and up-and-down the rest of the time.  The near absence of propagation
on 10m was a disappointment, as were the mushy and weak signals on 15 and 20,
but 40m Saturday night was my "money band".  Thanks to all who asked
for repeats (many were needed this time) and stuck with me to finish the
contact.

I didn't set a personal best on QSO's, but the extra 40m effort Saturday night
gave my score a big boost (28% over previous best!!) and a new high in
multipliers, which seem to be more numerous every year.  (I just noticed
eqsl.com still has their ePFX award for getting 300 prefixes - you could have
knocked that off in a few hours this weekend.)

This was an extra fun contest for me since I turned 64 Sunday - WPX CW isn't
usually on my birthday.  I hope to place high in the QRP ranks to celebrate.

I look forward to working you all again soon - I'll be captaining a CW station
for the W8UM Field Day (U.S.) effort the 4th weekend in June.  I also plan to
release new ham radio music videos soon to go with "I Want a Big
Tower" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA).  I won't spoil the
surprise but I think you'll enjoy them just as much as I Want a Big Tower.
Best reception to all and 73/72 de kt8k - Tim

Equipment at KT8K:
Tentec Orion (in diversity rx mode) w. MFJ Grandmaster keyer
ancient XP laptop (so bad it was delaying CW when I typed during sending -
sorry)

Antennas:
20/40/80m triple-wire inverted vee at 45 feet or so
10/15/20m trap dipole (Cushcraft A3 driven element) hanging vertical at 55
feet
500 foot horizontal (not really) wire loop zigging and zagging in the trees up
12 to 65 feet or more, also not very round, more U-shaped
K9AY loop was mostly destroyed by the past Winter - no longer functional