[3830] All Asian CW W6YX(N7MH) SOSB/40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] All Asian CW W6YX(N7MH) SOSB/40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2015 20:41:22 +0000
                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:
   80:
   40:  508   126
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  508   126  Total Score = 64,008

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

I was supposed to be flying to Europe on Saturday morning so I had no plans to
operate in AA CW.  At the last minute we had to reschedule our flight to Monday
and I decided to try single-band 40 in AA as it seemed least disruptive to
travel preparations.

I assumed it would be nearly impossible to work any Asians on 40 in our
evening, particularly on Day 1, so on Friday evening I slept for a few hours
before heading to the W6YX shack.

40 meters sounded dead when I arrived at 0700 - one weak ragchewer on the band
and almost no noise.  I switched bands to 20 just to confirm that the receiver
was indeed working and heard N9RV and other loud stations running Asians.  Back
on 40 I heard N6RO CQing and get called by a weak JA5FDJ.

I started CQing and JA5FDJ was the first caller.  After a slow start the rate
gradually increased.  The best hour each day was the 0900 hour which was also
when all of the local SOAB ops came to 40.  I went home about 1430 and slept
some more.  My total after day 1 was 335 with 110 mults.

QSO rate (with dupes):
Hour    40  Total
------------------
...                Day 1
0700    13    13
0800    39    52
0900    66   118
1000    61   179
1100    57   236
1200    52   288
1300    46   334
1400     6   340
...                Day 2
0800     8   348
0900    42   390
1000    37   427
1100    40   467
1200    27   494
1300    29   523
1400     5   528

On Saturday evening I visited the shack to check for openings to Asia.  The
only spotted station that I could hear was TA3D who was very weak.  After many
unsuccessful calls I gave up.

Thanks to all for the Qs.  This was my first time participating in the AA
contest.

73,
-Mike, N7MH