[3830] IARU VE9AA SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU VE9AA SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 23:08:09 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:    16     0      3        1
   80:   125     5     12       23
   40:   473    18     19       33
   20:   539   120     23       44
   15:   116     3     13       18
   10:    20     0      2        2
-------------------------------------
Total:  1289   146     72      121  Total Score = 959,956

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Battled a new electric fence next door and it's pulsating prickles of power all
weekend long, thus it was a tale of 2 sections of frequency spectrum and which
one hurt less to operate in:
160-80 and 40 with so-so propagation but s9+ spikes
or
10-15 & 20 with blech propagation but relatively quiet spectrum (spikes
only s5 on 20m and less the further up in freq I went.

10 & 15m HUUUGE disappointment here.

20m was barely open most of the daylight hours and I thought my new 4-square
was literally broken, so resorted using a variety of other antennas at times.

40m was pretty good, but crowded.  Hard to be heard in EU, but as the night
wore on and EU's went to bed, there were small places to find to call CQ and
occasionally I would make a 10-12 stn run, then go right back to S&P.....it
got better, but that was the modus operandi all weekend.  AS bands would open, I
would S&P my guts out, then at what I envisoned being the peak I would CQ
and work 10-15 minutes, get pushed off my QRG by some rude person who pretended
not to hear me and then S&P again.  Life is tough with 100w....but really,
if you are 5NN+20dB, you are hearing me.  Moving 30Hz away and CQing is just
plain bad operating.  Seriously.

80m was actually pretty good, but got a sense most were holding onto 20m as if
their life depended on it..... that was the money band this weekend.

160m was crap.  Well, at least there were very few there.  With LP I could not
attract the attention of any zone 7 stations.  Heard GR2HQ CQing and not even a
QRZ.....Heard K0TI and K5YAA with 559-579 signals but understand that QRN was
probably fierce.
One thing we didn't have was a lot of QRN here on the low bands.

HAve I said how much of a disappointment 10 & 15m were here under the
oval?

I was mentally prepared for 10m.  I thought, mmmm, maybe I'll work 75 or 80
guys there, but nope.  Scratched to work the 20 I got....spent too much time
CQing.  But 15m...WOW! Where did that (not) come from?  I mean, lately I have
been working EU DX from the car on the way to and from work in the Wednesday
CWT's quite easily.  It was all I could do to work a bit more than 100 guys on
15m and it likely took me 3+ hours to do that.  SSB was impossible on 15. THey
couldn't hear me.

Thanks for listening for me and I sure hope prop is better in this one next
year !!!

Mike VE9AA