[3830] IOTA PI4COM(PD9DX) SO24SSB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dervin142@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] IOTA PI4COM(PD9DX) SO24SSB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 23:23:25 +0000
                    IOTA Contest

Call: PI4COM
Operator(s): PD9DX
Station: PI4COM

Class: SO24SSB HP
QTH: Barendrecht
Operating Time (hrs): 19:21

   80:                     34      16
   40:                    438      44
   20:                    598      63
   15:                     50      17
   10:
Total:   0        0      1120     140  Total Score = 961,520

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

I decided to join the IOTA contest, for me the first time as a non island
station. I took advantage from the pi4com contest location. I've done this
contest once before but that was from an Island I didn't knew what I had to
expect as a non Island station in this contest, but at least i was hoping for
lots activity and a lot of fun.  I participated in the World Single operator
unassisted ssb 24H HP Category, with the callsign PI4COM.

On Saturday morning at 08.00 UTC I arrived on the Contest location, Ronald
PA3EWP and Kees PA3BWD were there too for other activities. We had a problem
this morning. a rare summer storm was expected with windspeeds up to 90 miles
per hour, during the preperation of the station ,the windspeed increased more
and more and had to turn the beams for 15 and 20 meters in safe positions. At
12:00 UTC the contest began and I decided to start on 7 Mhz, a day before the
contest ,Florian PB8DX put a Low 7 mhz dipole for me in the tower, I was very
happy because the dipole was working extremely well, although the conditions
were not so good. I had some good runs on this band,later in the afternoon when
the storm had passed, I checked 21 mhz but the conditions on this band were very
poor,and after some S&P I went to 14 mhz. This band was much better, and
this is how the whole contest continued till the end. sometimes i changed from
bands and between running and S&P although the conditions were not good on
28 and 21 mhz. The number of stations who participated in this contest was
actually very good.  During a nice opening

to North America on 14 mhz I was called by HC8/G8OFQ and by S79OWZ, a very nice
surprise during the contest,but at the same time I heard nothing else from the
Caribbean. Saturday night at 01:30 UTC I went QRT till the
morning 06:00 UTC. On Sunday morning I started again on 7 mhz, but the
conditions were still not very good, same thing on 21 mhz. I heard nothing from
VK and worked only one JA till the end of the contest. I searched again and
called on various bands, but on Sunday I had to do a lot more effort to make
points. Sunday at 12:00 utc, it was the end of the contest and I made a totall
of 1120 Qso's and worked 140 IOTA, claimed score 961,520 points.

I don't now if it's good for the first time. I guess I had to work more islands
but I am quite happy for the first time about this contest, and i am looking
forward to the next year!

Florian, Ronald and Kees thanks again for making this beautiful contest weekend
possible,

on behalf Dervin de PD9DX.