[3830] NA Sprint CW K6VVA LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, post3833@k6vva.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K6VVA LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 22:03:27 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): 12 Min

   80:   7    4 Mins
   40:   0         0
   20:  11    8 mins
---------------------
Total:  18     Mults = 13  Total Score = 234

Club:

Team:

Comments:

I had not planned to operate even though this is my favorite contest.  Too much
other QRL and long overdue antenna embellishments at the remote site remain
incomplete. The thought of getting beat up again with 100w LP from here on the
'Left Coast' was not appealing.

That being said, I got up from a much needed nap about 45 minutes before
Showtime.  Decided to chug down caffeine and go-for-it anyway as a little fish
in a BIG pond.  Just before 0000 UTC, I worked John/K4BAI who was LOUD compared
to the weekly NS/NSL events.  Ditto for some other VERY LOUD stations I heard.
Reminds me of that old song 'What A Difference An Amp Makes' :^) The adrenalin
started flowing and I actually got excited!

HORRORS ;-(  Before the first minute was over, I *knew* something was really
wrong ... REALLY WRONG ... as in 'Where the heck were all the players' ???  It
was VERY SPOOKY.  As I read post-event Comments about participation being a bit
down, from my observation, it was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DOWN.

As others reported logger issues, for some reason I had trouble wiping the
Callsign field clean to correct QLF typos which caused delays (Sorry, guys).  I
went on the fringes with mostly UNanswered CQ CQ CQ.  So with an important
UNfinished project here still waiting for me, after 8 minutes into the Sprint I
made a 'Command Decision' as I visualized how the remaining 3 hours & 52
minutes would likely play out.

I planned to come back to hand out some 'Courtesy Q's' on 40m, but was so
engrossed in my other project, it was not until I happened to glance at the
kitchen stove clock heading while for the sink and saw there was only 5 minutes
left in the event that I realized I had messed up.  So I RUSHED into the shack
and dialed up 80m which yielded 7 Q's in 4 minutes before the final bell. Umh,
at least I started and ended the event.

It would be very interesting to see how many 'Unique' Callsigns are in the
collective logs compared to similar counts in previous NA SPRINT CW events.  It
might be less than 50% from what my brief observations here.

Thank God there are still sufficient players in the NS & NSL events to
overcome the dreaded 'BOREDOM' factor.  Really hoping for a better turnout in
the Feb 2016 Sprint, although it will likely be 100w LP again (but hopefully
better antennas by then).

*** END OF SOAPBOX ***

73 & Tnx for the Q's and Mults that are in my weenie log,

Rick - K 6 V V A * The Locust