[3830] ArQP K5YAA/M Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ArQP K5YAA/M Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2015 03:40:15 +0000
                    Arkansas QSO Party

Call: K5YAA/M
Operator(s): KI0I K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Rover HP
QTH: 18 Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   80:   39      0      0
   40:  236      0      0
   20:  425     34      0
   15:    4      0      0
   10:    0      0      0
    2:    0      0      0
----------------------------
Total:  704     34      0  Mults = 58  Total Score = 83,636

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

First, let me thank Mark KI0I for joining me again this year. Having a partner
makes for a much more enjoyable run in one of these things. Mark's willingness
to grab a wrench is much appreciated by this OT.

I told Mark I built us a laid back route this year. A route that would let us
smell the roses of Arkansas' early Fall season. A good decision as the WX was
perfect in the upper 60s, sunny with mild breezes that let us enjoy some of the
most beautiful countryside around. Our route took us through the Ozarks off the
beaten Interstate path and within eyesight of some terrific mountain ridges and
valleys. Only a head of about a dozen goats were the only critters that crossed
our path. A very good day, as both Mark and I are country at heart and
appreciate the beauty and comfort of the countryside.

As it turned out the WX was also helpful in our efforts to keep Murphy pinned
on the mat. Fairly early on the battery source for the K3 and amplifier began
to fade even though I had made efforts to see that it was charged for a 12 hour
run. I am suspecting a set of marine batteries that simply don't want to
recharge. Bought at Wally World and usually satisfactory these simply seem to
be duds. K8TE reported via email with an audio file attachment to support his
claims of twangy CW, our CW tone was not particularly good. Caused by the
diminishing battery power source, Mark suggested we might run the K3
"direct" to the van battery because without the battery up to par the
K3 was out of business like it was in Kansas. Additional receive noise was a
concern but after a skillful routing of the already long power leads on the K3
under the floor mat, out the side door and into the motor compartment where
Mark attached the two terminal lugs to bolts on the battery leads we fired up
the van and no added noise was apparent. Let's roll with this setup was our
decision. That was in CLEBurne county under the shade of an Oak tree that was
as old as our combined age.

So, for the rest of the day we were Tuna Can powered in the mobile. 100 watts
out of the K3. Now and then for external excitement we would turn on the amp
and drain what few generated joules had collected from previous miles. Only a
handful of HP QSOs now and again but power out didn't seem to diminish our
ability to work folks even DX that finally showed on 20 mid afternoon in Yell
and the counties following Yell. Possibly the best spot we stopped at was a
very crowded country store near Petit Jean State Park. There must have been 50
or more motorcycles there for some sort of charity run. I put the van under a
metal roof covering the gas pumps, went inside as they didn't have new fangled
credit card purchasing available pump side and Mark kept going on 20 with 100
watts that isn't enough to upset diesel relays, credit card readers and other
electronic assistance equipment like found by the amplifier in Texas and
Missouri. Actually I don't think even HP would have done any damage because the
pumps were "old fashion" with no widgets attached just a hose. You
even had to stay pump side as the switches on the hoses didn't work to stop the
flow.

When we pulled away from that store Mark said, here comes the noise again. I
think he would have been happy to sit under that awning the rest of the day. He
had one of his best runs under that cover.

Other Murphy attacks included the SamSung Windows 8.1 laptop which decided to
rid itself of a cursor never to be found again. The old Dell's battery pack is
DOA but does still run on AC so up it came to the front seat to take over for
the SamSung. The only problem then was to hope the generator would keep
plugging along better than it had all day. It's time for a bit of servicing on
the Honda gennie as it wants to stop running unless sitting still or motoring
along on a smooth road. Railroad track crossings and pot hole strikes stop it
most of the time only to cause a pullover and rope yank. Probably a dozen times
all day but amazingly, after the AC only Dell was put in place, only one time
did we have to "restart" after the gennie stopped. By the time we
made it to Scott County via back roads that I thought would get us to the
Scott/Sebastian County Line we were so laid back and mellow I don't think much
would have troubled us. Like I said a very enjoyable day motoring around in the
country.

Later in the evening we figured a try at 80 might be worthwhile. One of the
main decisions to retreat to 80 was the CW Sprint had cranked up at 7PM. Even
though the participants seemed to respect my CQ ARQP the rate on 40 diminished.
I did get a sort of kick out of having 6 or 7 Sprinters call me at which time I
gave them a 5NN and the county abbreviation. What? Huh? at which time I sent a
serial number, JERRY and AR which seemed to make them happy. I would have liked
to have a screen on the K3 to see the puzzled looks on those fellows faces. N9RV
and K3LR were two of those "unlucky" Sprinters. To both of you guys, I
logged you in the ARQP and if necessary can prove that you did indeed work an AR
mult in the Sprint. A special thanks to W9RE who figured out 7.041 was my
frequency on 40 and kindly slipped out of the way to do his CQ NA on some other
frequency. I hope you got an immediate caller Mike. 80 surprised me. 100 watts
shook 38 Qs out of the woodwork. There were a couple of pileups on us at times.
Amazing, I thought you needed a KW to venture lower than 40 meters.

Mark and I want to thank all of you that followed us during day. Many call
signs. Even though the crowd was much smaller than the Kansas Party, all the
same we enjoyed the party and the rates fit nicely with our deliberate effort
to smell the roses. The DX that called in was a treat as the bands were not
very cooperative again this weekend. DK3BN, G3XVR, HA8IB, YV5OIE and F5FJ were
the sum total of our 15 DX QSOs. 15 meters garnered only 4 QSOs a benefit from
John N6MU who must have looked dozens of times at 15 for an opening. When down
there, finally making contact with John, VE7SL called in so the band was at
least open briefly to the West. 40 states worked and rather sadly only two
Canadian provinces VE3 and VE7.

Mark got to work every one of the 15 DX Qs. An allowance by me for him bringing
a full tub of home baked, made from a scratch recipe, brownies whipped up for
our snack stash by his Dear wife Janet. I had told Mark to see if she would
favor us again this year with her talent. Delicious. Mark said to me via text
at 5:30 AM prior to both of us rolling toward Arkansas, brownies packed. He
said something about a piece of gear and a cooler I think but knowing the
brownies were on the way I forget exactly what else he mentioned.

Don Banta K5DB is to be commended for his efforts at stirring up the action and
advertising the Arkansas Party. Thanks Don for your invitation and a special
thanks for the weather you dialed in for us. An enjoyable ride in your state
for sure.

73 all for now, Mark KI0I and Jerry K5YAA

Rig: The Big Iron Mobile aka Oklahoma Land Rush Mobile with a K3 and Skymaster
Solid State Amplifier feeding three HP Hustlers and a Tarheel. A SamSung
Windows 8.1 driven laptop that needs tossing and an old Dell laptop that still
has some life in it after 4 years of mobiling around the country.