[3830] TxQP N4CD SO CW Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP N4CD SO CW Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 20:19:39 +0000
                    Texas QSO Party

Call: N4CD
Operator(s): N4CD
Station: N4CD

Class: SO CW Mobile LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  706     0       0  Mults = 107  Total Score = 245,626

Club:

Comments:

There was an estate sale down in Caldwell County that was of interest, so I
headed on down there Friday and spent the night in Hays County.  At least 20
tons of stuff - in 3 separate buildings up for sale. Didn't find much in the
way of regen receivers (my favorite collectible)  or parts and didn't need
200-300 more plastic and wood table BC radios, consoles, parts radios, etc.
80,000 tubes up for grabs!

Started about 40 minutes late as the sale had first priority but didn't buy a
whole lot of stuff.  Planned a route home 'the county hunter way' rather than
back up the interstate.  Wound up being about 450 miles.   No driver - stopped
to run half the time, then ran 'on the run' working the radio and doing the
logging and driving.

Fun working W0BH on his 4 way county lines out in west TX.  4 contacts in 40
seconds or less.     I needed about 200 counties now since I started over not
too long ago.

Then it was westward starting in Caldwell through Hays and then out in the
boondocks on Hill Country in TX where you go for miles and miles between teeny
towns on twisty roads.  Half the trip was on '4 digit roads' which means no
shoulders and windy/twisty roads.  Half a dozen dips had 'flood gauges' so you
don't want to be driving these roads in thunderstorms or heavy rain - you won't
get through.

Conditions were only so so on Saturday morning.  John, N6MU was barely 339 copy
and Jerry, W0GXQ in MN same for half the day. Still OK copy.   Then the mid day
slump hit but things picked up in the afternoon with up to 70 contacts per
county.  DX came in nicely in the afternoon with HA8IB, HA9RE, DL3BA, LY5A,
SP9LJD, PA3ARM, DL6KVA, DL5ME, OK1CF in the log.

Ran the following counties:

CALD, HAYS, COML, BLAN, KEND, GILL, MASO, LLAN, SSAB, MILL, HAMI, BOSQ, ERAT,
SOME, JOHN, ELLI, DALS.    (John, N6MU missed me in just one).  Around 7:15 pm
local it began to get dark and the last 50 miles I just drove home through the
Dallas Metroplex with six and eight and ten lane highways and zillions of cars
all in a hurry to get somewhere.  Fortunately no delays and home by 8pm (real
dark).  Hit the Boston Market for dinner and in the driveway at 8:30.   10
hours of driving/operating - enough for one TQP.

Missed the following states: NV, UT, VT, LA, KY, AK, HI, DE, ME.  Only worked
two Canadian Provinces.

Activated 17 counties for 1000 bonus per, and worked 4 mobiles in 5 or more
counties.   W5CT/m was S7 to S9 on 40M but fairly deaf.  Dozens called and he
never heard them.  Missed him in at least 8 counties. worked 59 TX counties on
Saturday.  Stayed home and worked from COLN county on Sunday.

Rig:  IC-706 original with 500,000 miles on it, Six foot mast on trunk deck 3
magnet mount, with 20/40m horizontal W9UCW resonators on top (plus 17 and 30M).
  Car:   2009 Chevy Malibu with 170,000 miles.

Score is close but need to re-do the log..  All handwritten.