[3830] IlQP AD4EB/M Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ad4eb@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] IlQP AD4EB/M Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 17:44:34 +0000
                    Illinois QSO Party

Call: AD4EB/M
Operator(s): AD4EB KI4HVY
Station: AD4EB/M

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: IL Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 8

  160:
   80:     207
   40:     639
   20:     306
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
------------------------
Total:    1152      0  Mults = 82  Total Score = 188,928

Club:

Comments:

This was our second mobile run in the ILQP, and everything went much better this
year until the very end.  Last year we drove from southern Illinois northward,
much if it on gravel country roads, and I had a hard time keeping in my seat
not to mention trying to type.  This year we started in central Illinois, and
worked our way to the bottom of the state almost entirely on highways and paved
roads.  This really improved our score, not to mention much more pleasant for
both of us.

The QSO count was way up from 891 last year to 1152.  But the multiplier count
was down considerably from 98 last year to just 82.  These 82 multipliers were:
States(39), IL Counties (35), Prov.(4), DX(4).  I ran just about the entire
time, perhaps a little more S&P would have gained me a few more IL
multipliers. Best 60 minutes was 199 QSOs, a new QSO party record for me.

Most worked stations were:

N9FN(60) - Thanks Dave for finding us so many times, nice to get 4 QSOs at a
time.
K9CT(33)
W9AIU(24)
WA8ZBT(24)
K9PG(22)
W1DWA(22)
K9WX(21)
VE2FK(21)
WA4GQG(20)
W8WVU(18)

Most worked DX was Manfred DK2OY(9), others were G3XVR, IK0YVV, and S57S.

A rather unbelievable event happened with our trusty 2000 Montana van (248k
miles).  As we were about 2 miles from our home in Tennessee, we heard an awful
crunching noise in the front of the vehicle as we turned off the interstate.
But it still drove fine.  Then as we started to make the left turn into our
driveway, it happened again and ball bearings fell out from the front left CV
transmission. We had to push the van the final 10 feet into the driveway.  Why
this did not happen during during the 350 mile route or the 3 hour journey home
is just amazing. We were so fortunate, and the repair cost will only be $275.

Melody and I both really enjoyed this contest.  The weather was perfect, and
the participation was great.  Thanks to everyone who worked us, and especially
to Jim, N9JF, who really helps make this contest such a success.  And oh yes,
the biggest thanks to my wife and driver/navigator Melody, you were great as
always!

73 - Jim (AD4EB) and Melody (KI4HVY)