[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 05:52:53 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 29.9

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    3     3        3
   40:   21    10       10
   20:   43    16       25
   15:  156    24       72
   10:  151    26       52
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  40-80 Meters: Butternut HF-2V Vertical with 3 radials
  160 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

The decreased solar flare index is finally taking a toll on my QRP score. I
really had to work during this contest! QSOs were more of a struggle than the
last several years, and my score was well under my last year personal record
score (343 K).

I started out well with a one call QSO with B7P on 10 Meters. China is always
tough for me and I often cannot work it in a contest. I thought it was a good
omen, but the Qs got a lot tougher from there.

My best QSO was working V84O in one call on 10 Meters early Saturday evening.

As far as conditions go, 10 Meters was open to Europe both mornings, and about
25% of my European Qs were on that band. When 10 Meters drops out, my QRP score
drops badly.

Try as I might, after all the work of putting up my 160 Meter inverted L, I was
not able to make a single QSO on 160!

My total DXCC for the contest was 85 and my WAZ was 29. I managed to get zone
40 which is extremely tough for me in contests. I did not attempt to CQ in this
contest since conditions were definitely not good enough for QRP CQs.

I slept 5 hours the first night and 6 the second night. I used to do 3 hours
the first night and 4 the second night, but I have decided to sleep during
those couple of hours overnight where I could only make 3 or 4 Qs an hour
anyway.

My most common country was JA with 51 Qs. Next came VE with 31, then LU with 17
and KH6 with 15. I was amazed at the large number of VKs that made it into my
log I generally work three or four, but I got 14 this time.

It was a lot of fun, as usual. I will have to miss most, if not all, of the CQ
WWDX CW contest because our family is travelling for Thanksgiving. I think it
will be the first I have missed since 1989. I wish they would change that
date!

73,  Bill Parker   W8QZA - W6QU