[3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@p40a.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB P40A(KK9A) SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 03:26:26 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: P40A
Operator(s): KK9A
Station: P49V

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 43

  160:   19     5       13
   80:  275    18       62
   40:  777    28       87
   20:  835    28       89
   15: 1930    29      107
   10: 1439    25       80
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

It has been 15 years since my wife and I first visited Aruba, it is amazing how
fast time flies. The country has really developed however it is still a
peaceful wonderful vacation spot. There are so many nice restaurants and shops
now and the beaches and people are still fantastic. Baby beach is probably one
of the best walkout beach snorkeling spots that I have ever visited,  even the
fish in Aruba are friendly. I posted a few new pictures on
http://www.p40a.com.

We stayed at DL6RAI’s beautiful home in Noord. This home formerly belonged to
AI6V / AI6YL and it is great that Ben has kept their memorabilia up in the shack
for now. The residence has all of comforts of home and it is very XYL friendly.
It has a well equip shack for those times when you feel like running a pile up.
Aruba has a lot of nice local and visiting hams, this trip I saw P43A, P43C,
P40W / W2GD and P49Y / AE6Y. Thanks Ben for letting us stay at your home!

I received many emails asking how the CQWW Phone contest went.  Unfortunately,
I had some issues. Murphy was an unwanted house guest who refused to leave. I
brought a brand new Elecraft K3S with and for some reason I did not have good
audio using the Heil HC-4 mic. I spent hours trying different settings and
never did get it perfect. Thanks to all of those that tried to help, I used
some of K9YC’s suggestions and he even listened to me on the air late at
night. A special thanks goes to Jay, N4OX who spent hours with me on the air
while we both studied the manual setting and tried different things. We will
probably meet on the air again once I unpack and set up at home. On afternoon,
after having lunch at the beach, I went to take a pre-contest nap. Shortly
after falling asleep, I woke up to a very warm house. Apparently the whole
island power grid went down. This part of the island did not get power until an
hour after the contest started, but luckily I own a small generator so I did not
miss any operating time. I planned on operating SOABLP, but my first half hour
rates were horrible. I tried different frequencies but just could not get a run
going. I decided that SOABHP(A) would be more fun so I quickly reconfigured the
station when the power came back on. Unfortunately when the power came back on
my noise level increased dramatically on all bands, especially toward the US.
Sorry to those stations that I could not hear. On Saturday evening my XYL
learned that her brother suddenly died, so I had to take a short break to
console her. Sometime on Sunday morning the internet went out and I was no
longer receiving packet spots.  Just when I thought that nothing else could go
wrong, a thunderstorm popped up. It was loud, but I did not see any strikes so
I continued to operate. The storm continued for about an hour and then suddenly
the power went out again with about five hours left in the contest. This time
only a few homes on the block were without power and I just happened to be one
of them. I once again started up my small generator and continued to operate,
at very reduced power. Exactly four minutes after the contest ended the power
came back on �" unreal!  While this is not a huge score, it was still fun
to be sitting in my old chair operating as P40A once again. It was also fun
being on 30m and 40m CW before the contest.

73,

John KK9A  aka W4AAA, WP2AA, P40A
http://www.p40a.com

Please QSL via WD9DZV!