[3830] SS CW K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS CW K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:57:14 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MDC
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  312
   40:  225
   20:  161
   15:   49
   10:
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well that's what I could do with 100W and a dipole and CT-DOS.  No assistance,
no call history files, not even a band map.  (Every year I promise myself to
upgrade the software, but both the both my skill and the priority of ham radio
keep going down.)  32 QSOs down from last year (best ever), and one Section up.
 Claimed score is down from last year's, but better than last year's final
score.  New best?  It hangs on the log checking, and I tried to be more careful
this year.

Where did the QSOs go?  Last year 40Mwas thie big band.  This year it was 80M,
but most of Saturday night I had recurring hash on 80M and could not hear
weaker sig's; forced to stay on 40M.  Last year I had 14 more QSOs on 15M and
52 more on 10M.  Some of those likely were not workable from my station on the
lower bands (even 20M).

I had expected NT to be non-difficult, with the big remote effort from VY1AAA
(by W1VE).  Never heard them, and I wondered if maybe there had been a hardware
failure -- more hardware, more opportunities to fail.  I learn from other
reports that they were, indeed, QRV; but KD4D's report indicates that they were
not so loud in MDC -- especially without a beam here.

I had about given up, when I scanned 20M again Sunday early evening (I think).
Hey! VE8EV is sending somebody a report.  He's loud enough that I know he could
ear me.  Uh Oh!  He had called K3ZO; Fred is saying "TU" and ready to
resume his run.  Would I try to poach Fred's freq?  Not a nice thing to do; I
don't want to get him mad at me; and I'll see him at PVRC meeting Monday
evening.

What a foolish question.  Of course I would try to poach Fred's freq for that
mult.  I'd try to poach his mother's freq for that mult; I'd try to poach MY
mother's freq for that mult.  But they are at the Big Multi-Op in the Sky, and
not QRV SS, so that doesn't matter.

The real question is CAN I poach Fred's freq.  Not a chance.  (Fred tells me
Monday evening that he thought he heard something happening there, and he knew
that people might try, and if he knew it was I he would have given me a chance.
 But a weak KL7 had called him at the same time, and he was trying to pull that
guy thru.)  I tuned a few KHz away and called CQ for a while (working some
other western QSOs), but -- alas -- no NT was attracted, and I returned to the
lower bands for better rate.

Other than that, I feel like I handled the hunt for Sections well.  I knew to
jump up to 20M Sunday morning to nab NL (two in a row!).  Having heard VE6EX
S&P earlier on Sunday, I found him running just where I knew to look on
Sunday evening.  Other singletons were AK, DE(!), and PR.

One other amusing story.  Searching, I found K0MF.  Just as I was about to call
him, I heard NP2L CQ just a few hundred HZ below him.  No big deal; I already
had two VI QSOs.  I called K0MF, and he came back.  Of course, so did NP2L.
Well, in SS I'm not good enough to copy two reports at once and time the
response so they both get my report.  (I did that once in a DX contest.)  So
here I am, in SS, trying to tell the VI station to wait while I work the CO
station.  After which I slid down the few hundred Hz and worked the VI,
apologizing for the confusion.

Tons of fun, but one sign of advancing age: at the end of SS CW I've always
been ready to do it again right away.  This year, it took a day or two.

CU SS SSB, and a few other tests this year.  Only 51-1/2 weeks to SS CW.

73, Art K3KU