[3830] SS SSB K8MR Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k8mr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K8MR Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 01:54:48 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K8MR
Operator(s): K8MR
Station: K8MR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 5

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:   22
   20:   85
   15:  191
   10:   10
------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Once again I took the station to the (salt) waterfront in Sarasota. K3 with a
MFJ telescoping mast for 20-10, 33 foot end fed wire for 40. The vertical was
planted about 10 feet out in the water, which was about a foot deep at high
tide. After a while I noticed intermittent SWR fluctuations; I realized that as
the water dropped below the 2 foot aluminum mast to the plastic beach umbrella
anchor, the ground system was changing as the waves came through. I hooked on a
six foot bare wire to the support, and things stabilized.

An all Sunday operation; weather on Saturday was threatening rain much of the
time. No surprise that salt water and fresh meat go well together. 167 of my
QSOs were in runs of >100hr. Sections missed: NFL, SFL, SC, MS, ORG, SF, and
NL. Most worked section: MI, 21 QSOs. Other well represented ones were IL with
13, CT and MDC with 12, and VA, OH, and MN with 11. ENY rounded out the two
digit group with 10 QSOs. Last new section worked: STX!

I had a couple of good eyeball QSOs with non-ham visitors, and a all time first
QRM source: a pontoon equipped ultralight, which made quite a noise (acoustic)
and a heck of a wind when he took off with his prop wash pointed right at me.

All in all, a nice way to do SSB SS, especially when hearing from W8MJ about
the 14" of snow he had in MI!

73  -  Jim  K8MR