[3830] SS SSB K5YAA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k5yaa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K5YAA Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 03:36:14 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): K5YAA
Station: K5YAA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OK
Operating Time (hrs): 4

------------
  160:   0
   80:   7
   40:  13
   20:  23
   15:  39
   10:   3
------------

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

Since SSB ain't really my thing I thought I would pull a K5KA trick and see if I
could work the sweep using the same number of Qs. Well, I goofed up and doubled
up early on with WPA then along came that beggar N4PN who said he needed OK so
I broke my concentration, set aside my objective and handed him a Q. I went two
over the limit and it plagued me the entire time I was on. Still an interesting
way to operate one of these things.

NL was my last to get. I CQd "Looking for the Rock" on both 20 and
15. No answers. A fellow came along, a W3 and said, "Well, give me a Q and
I will tell you where a VO1 is." I explained to him what I was trying to do
but he persisted. Blackmail I thought so I refused. While the the W3 was
explaining his terms another fellow hollered out two frequencies on 15. Just
the .NNN so I scooted to the second one he called out and there was Gus running
'em. I told Gus, "Thanks Gus just finished my sweep". He said,
"Glad to be here for you." Thanks Gus for yet another Q with
Newfoundland. SFL was next to last which makes no sense at all.

I understand from Barry, W5GN that our good friend and fellow contester Rich
KL7RA has become a SK. A heart attack as Barry explained. Barry said, when he
called me, I have an actual message to convey. He gave me his SS exchange then
forwarded his sad news traffic. Barry took time to tell me about the many years
he had known and been around Rich and how much he enjoyed him. I did get to meet
Rich last year in Dayton which I am glad of. RIP Rich, we all will miss your AK
mult and top operating from one of the tough ones to get. I never had the
chance to visit Rich in AK but I know he was always gracious to anyone
traveling through that needed a ham rig to use or a place to rest and be with
friends.

Thanks to the ARRL and all the workers behind the scenes for another FB SS
season. This thing has been around for many many years and was a mainstay for
me back in the sixties. Many calls I worked even as a Novice are still in the
lineup. K0DEQ, K4BAI, K9UQN, K9WZB, K4QPL, W4MYA, K9BGL and many others too
numerous to name. Fellows it's my pleasure to still be able to talk to each and
every one of you and I hope we can still do it for many more seasons.

73 - Jerry K5YAA
Rig: K3, Alpha 9500 and Force 12 yagis up high so I can be as loud as possible.