[3830] SS SSB K8BKM Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, thammond@chartermi.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB K8BKM Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 12:47:20 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K8BKM
Operator(s): K8BKM
Station: K8BKM

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MI
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
  160:    0
   80:  142
   40:  135
   20:   70
   15:  101
   10:   42
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Second SS effort in as many weeks. My first SS for both modes. Didn't have as
much heart into the Phone effort as CW, but I wanted to contribute points for
the club competition.

Discovered that running low power was much harder on Phone than CW. Found it
very hard to find and keep a run frequency, so it was almost entirely S&P.
Also, my station isn't set up for phone contesting - no headset mic, no
footswitch, no audio feed from the logging computer, so it was pretty much a
manual effort.

I found the contest got off to a slow start. I turned in much earlier Saturday
night than I did on CW, due to a much lower rate. The good news was that I
worked NT early in the contest, setting myself up for the coveted Clean Sweep.
Sundays activity proved to be much better and the high bands were quite
productive. I was able to hold a run frequency on 15 and 10 for a while,
working a lot of part-timers and non-contesters. I had to search a bit but
finally got my last section for the Clean Sweep - ONE. Who knew? The last three
were BC, QC, and ONE. Not typical, I would guess.

I had the pleasure of working a few young Check 15'ers who I congratulated and
encouraged, and I heard a 92 year old who thought it might be his last SS. A
lifetime hobby.

It was fun to run the two contests back-to-back, to compare conditions, efforts
and results. In the future however, I think I'll stick to CW.

Tom, K8BKM