[3830] SS SSB W5RU(@KN5O) Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kn5o@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W5RU(@KN5O) Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 13:52:49 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W5RU
Operator(s): K1DW K5ER W5WZ KG5VK N0AX WW4LL KN5O
Station: KN5O

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Covington, LA
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  234
   40:  816
   20:  683
   15:  315
   10:   35
------------

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

This is our 5th year of SS Phone contesting as group from the Louisiana Contest
Club (LCC).  This year we are very proud to have hosted Ward, N0AX and Fred,
WW4LL at our QTH.  They made great contributions to our effort.  Also,
congratulations again to the W6YI team for a great showing and to all the other
category winners.

We were hoping that 'old Sol' would cooperate for us this year, but it was not
to be the case.  It also seemed like participation was down from last year.  We
had a terrible time trying to run on 20M at the start.  It took a couple of
minutes before our CQs were answered.  Trying to run on 10M and 15M at the
beginning was difficult as well.  After the first hour of a 'less than 100
hour', we began to catch our rythem, averaging above 100 for the next 7 hours.
Last couple of hours before our night time break were only 80+ hours, worse than
last year.. Decided to stop at 1:00AM local and take a 4 1/2 hr break before
restarting at 5:30AM local time.

Made our sweep much later this year, with VE4DXR calling in at 10:27PM Saturday
night.  Saw VE4s spotted earlier, but decided to pursue running vs mult chasing,
thinking we would eventually have someone call in to give us the MB mult. KP2XX
was our mult #82, which we had to chase on 40M.

Sunday was typical BIC time, grinding it out through the Sunday doldrums.
Closest we came to to a 100+ hour on Sunday was a 98 hour.  But looking back
over the hourly rates, they were averaging about 60-65 per hour, which was
typical for us.  And in the last hour, the rate picked up a bit, also as was
expected.

Many thanks to my wife Lorraine for tolerating 4 house guests and keeping
everyone well fed for the weekend.  And thanks to Dallas, K1DW, for hosting
Fred, WW4LL.  If nothing else, we did eat well for 2 solid days.

Well, there is always next year.. Until then, wishing everyone a happy and safe
holiday season.

73 Ted KN5O for W5RU (Delta DX Assn and the LCC)

W5RU Team:

K1DW - Dallas, K5ER - Mark, W5WZ - Scott, KG5VK - Steve, N0AX - Ward, WW4LL -
Fred, KN5O - Ted