[3830] SS SSB AE0EE Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS SSB AE0EE Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 01:53:46 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: AE0EE
Operator(s): AE0EE
Station: AE0EE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SD
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:  107
   40:  123
   20:   30
   15:  284
   10:    3
------------

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

100 W, dipoles at 20'.

That was fun, and it was exciting to hear several people complete their sweep
or worked-all-states with my contact!  I completed my first Sweepstakes
worked-all-states with 36 minutes to go on Sunday evening.  I worked to find VI
to complete the sweep, but they eluded me.  Sunday morning I managed a nice long
run on 15 m (with a few periods of rate slowing due to other stations trying to
call CQ only 1 kHz away) and a short one on 40 m Sunday evening (again, it's
hard to run after a station comes on only 750 Hz off).

Band conditions were better than for the CW weekend, but there were definitely
some swings.  At times signals would really start popping up, and there were
times when there would be no strong signals anywhere on the band.

Here's how things compared to last year.
Up: QSOs, sections, score, 10 m QSOs
Down: 20 m QSOs, number of microphones found not working Friday night, crummy
driving conditions to/from SD.

I only made 3 QSOs on 10 m Sunday afternoon, but it was worth all the time
spent putting the antenna up---I found 3 NT stations calling on a lonely band
(two would get a 59 report, the other 45).

Unlike last year, I did not drive four hours to my Sweepstakes location only to
find out late on Friday night that my microphone didn't work.  The whole weekend
went quite smoothly, in fact, and the weather made dealing with antennas and
driving much nicer than it was last year (cold, snowy, and blowy).

This year I made use of having TWO feedlines coming in to the shack, so I could
do band changes more rapidly (and without going outside).  I took advantage of
this by using the dual VFOs to search one band while waiting for another chance
at the pileup on another.  It helped me find a few multipliers, but clearly
there is some improvement in technique needed (e.g. more time on 20 m, finding
VI).

Thanks to everyone who came out to make this an enjoyable contest!