[3830] SS SSB W6YX Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB W6YX Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 02:20:13 +0000
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K2YY KZ2V N7MH
Station: W6YX

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH: SCV
Operating Time (hrs): 24

------------
  160:
   80:   36
   40:  227
   20:  216
   15:  218
   10:  215
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

We decided to try something different this year and go Low Power multi-op.  It
was much harder than I expected.

My original plan was to use an FT-1000MP Mark-V as the run radio since it could
run at 150W.  Two K3s would be used for S&P.  The MkV unfortunately had a
problem with the mic input so we ended up using one K3 for running and the
other for S&P, both set to 100W.

I had assumed we'd work most of the many CA stations on 80 in the evening but,
as WX6V pointed out in his contest report, there was poor ground wave/NVIS
propagation and we could barely hear most of the west coast stations much less
work them with low power.  We didn't work N6BV@N6RO until late Sunday on 40
even though we had tried calling many times.  We called N6ZFO on several bands
but Bill never heard us.

Our last 2 mults were NL and DE with N3DXX finally worked for the sweep at
2326Z on Sunday.  We'd heard N3DXX and K9RS on Saturday but hadn't been able to
crack the pileups.

It was very odd to look at our band breakdown late on Sunday and notice that we
had between 215 and 218 Qs on all the bands between 40 and 10.  A few more were
worked on 40 after that.

Having cluster spots was useful at times but frequently there would be a pileup
that we couldn't break for several minutes with low power.  It was often more
productive to tune the band to find someone we hadn't already worked.  While I
was at the S&P radio I posted all callsigns to the cluster that weren't
already in our bandmap.  If you saw spots from K6SU those were from me.

Thanks to Nick/KZ2V and John/K2YY for joining in the effort.

73,
-Mike, N7MH