[3830] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2015 17:43:44 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Lone Pine CA
Operating Time (hrs): 42

  160:    9     7        6
   80:  222    26       55
   40:  508    35      105
   20:  492    35      113
   15:  631    33      116
   10:   75    20       37
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equip: K3, FTdx3000, Expert 1.3K-FA  Win-Test
Antennas:  Four AB-577 masts 60 feet high
160- MA160V (regular 160 antenna not working)
80 - Two 1/4 wave slopers, east and west below the yagis
40 - 40-2CD yagi
20 - 3L yagi
15 - 5L yagi (N8SM design)
10 - 5L yagi (N8SM design)

This was my first shot at real assisted operation.  Last year I just watched DX
Summit.  This year I was connected with an AR-Cluster with a great filter
designed by my friends K1GQ and WA1Z. I operated with the K3 and used the
FTdx3000 solely to show the Radio 2 band map so I could see what was happening
on another band.  This information was valuable in deciding what to do next.  I
only did some clicking on Sunday morning to pick up European multipliers during
our mutual one hour of propagation on 15 meters.  Otherwise I used the
assistance as an information tool while tuning.  On several occasions I would
have passed a good multiplier if I had not had the cluster alert that it was
there.  The big knob still rules.

I thought conditions were not very good.  I had very high atmospheric noise on
the low bands both nights.  Despite that noise I still felt I did well on 80
meters.  I had very little 10 meter propagation.  I tuned to many of the spots
I was getting from western stations and heard nothing.  I have  mountains five
miles west of me that rise to 14,500 feet and effectively cut off any low angle
signals in the Pacific.  The 15 meter window to Europe was only open for about
one hour both days.  But the old adage that there are no meters like 40 meters
still rings true.  I tuned 20 meters during the night but never heard any
signals.  The bands are truly on the decline.

My antenna set up is temporary for the CQWW contest and will be taken down
today and stored.  I usually put them up during the week before if I have days
without winds that are prevalent this time of year in the high desert.

I have found a downside to my new Expert amp.  My shack is out behind the
garage and I could always count on my old AL1200 to keep the room warm.  Now I
have to have a heater in the room as the Expert amp runs so cool.  Thank
goodness for all the protections built into that amp.  But that is another
story!

I adhere to the W6SX Prime Directive to have fun.  And it still is after 60
years of contest operating.

73, Kurt W6PH